Citroen c5 II height sensor suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Disaster189

Citroen c5 II height sensor suspension

Post by Disaster189 »

Hello!

After replacing the bearings and silencer block, the front and rear sensors were not in the same place, and now the car has a different height. Can someone tell me what is the correct height to manually adjust the sensors and put the car back to the correct height?

Car is citroen c5 II 136cv hdi fap 2006 exclusive sedan, no break.

Thanks advanced.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen c5 II height sensor suspension

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The procedure for adjusting the heights is only for relatively small minor adjustments, requiring measurements & calculations and Lexia / Diagbox diagnostics to complete, contained in the procedure here (which will require a membership upgrade to access resources section):

C5 MK II Suspension Height Checking Procedure

The clamps on the axles are set at the factory and should always be marked prior to removal so that you know the correct position when refitting.

The procedure above cannot account for this scenario, so will need a dealer intervention to get them into the correct position before you use the procedure above to fine tune.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Disaster189

Post by Disaster189 »

Thank you for your quick response, I don't want to adjust with lexia, but rather readjust the sensors manually since when I removed them they were not marked and I need to put them back in the correct position, the problem is that I don't know the position or the height that should be have the vehicle
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Easiest way is just to do it by eye on a 4 post ramp or over a pit. Just slacken off the clamps & move a tiny bit at a time till you get it where you want it.
Never really bothered with the Lexia adjustments.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Disaster189 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 17:13 Thank you for your quick response, I don't want to adjust with lexia, but rather readjust the sensors manually since when I removed them they were not marked and I need to put them back in the correct position, the problem is that I don't know the position or the height that should be have the vehicle
That's what I'm advising you. Normally, before removing the sensor, the front and rear sensors are pegged with setting rods so that their position is correct when refitting (when refitting the same sensor of course).
C5 II height Sensor Collar.png
However if you have removed the collars (clamps) shown above, then they need to be re-positioned correctly, as the diagnostic tool can only make minor adjustments, once the initial adjustment and positioning of the clamps is completed correctly.

You will then have to use the diagnostic tool to fine tune the system against the reference heights when you have completed the first part of the operation and got the clamps correctly positioned and the sensors re-fitted using the procedure I have linked to.

Of course you can experiment, just don't get underneath the vehicle unless it is supported independently as the suspension can and will drop suddenly if you are playing about with the setting.

Marc
Disaster189

Post by Disaster189 »

Thank you very much for the clarification again. The only question I have left now is the height, where can I see what the correct front and rear height is? Should it be done without weight in the vehicle? Intermediate full gas tank or empty? Thanks for the warning about being below, it will be done in a pit
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can't help you with that, as the procedure assumes that the clamps and sensors are correctly positioned before you do the measuring and calculations for the fine tuning and entering into Lexia, which makes the final adjustments.

Marc
Disaster189

Post by Disaster189 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 18:20 I can't help you with that, as the procedure assumes that the clamps and sensors are correctly positioned before you do the measuring and calculations for the fine tuning and entering into Lexia, which makes the final adjustments.

oops then I'm lost without knowing correct height to adjust manually. Would it be possible to know with vin How many liters of oil does the gearbox carry? some people say 1.9 others 2.6liters

Vin is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That depends on the exact type of 6 Speed gearbox you have. None of those figures above are correct as they stand. There are two types: with fins and without fins and this makes a difference to the oil quantity, along with the operation of the work being undertaken.

See my illustrated post here:

viewtopic.php?p=790637#p790637

Marc
Disaster189

Post by Disaster189 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 21:07 That depends on the exact type of 6 Speed gearbox you have. None of those figures above are correct as they stand. There are two types: with fins and without fins and this makes a difference to the oil quantity, along with the operation of the work being undertaken.

See my illustrated post here:

viewtopic.php?p=790637#p790637
I saw it and I think my box does not have fins, so I filled with 2.6 liters, but my frame says I have box C
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As I said, there are 2 types of ML6C gearbox - the designations are the same but they can come with or without fins. The change came in from February 2006 and the gearbox designations changed to show a marking of 'BV'.

Also, just to clarify my previous post, the oil quantities I mentioned in my last post apply only to the diesel vehicles. The Gearbox oil quantities on petrol C5 IIs are different again.

Marc
Disaster189

Post by Disaster189 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 22:08 As I said, there are 2 types of ML6C gearbox - the designations are the same but they can come with or without fins. The change came in from February 2006 and the gearbox designations changed to show a marking of 'BV'.

Also, just to clarify my previous post, the oil quantities I mentioned in my last post apply only to the diesel vehicles. The Gearbox oil quantities on petrol C5 IIs are different again.
Thank you very much for the clarification! My car is a 2006 HDI, but I don't know the month of manufacture, the box doesn't have fins so I was right by putting 2.6 liters in the gearbox! thaaanks For all!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem. Your build date is 31st March 2006 (RPO 10735) for reference.

Marc
Disaster189

Post by Disaster189 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 22:14 No problem. Your build date is 31st March 2006 (RPO 10735) for reference.

Oil old, and gearbox photo

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Put it this way, it won't do any harm changing it! :)

Marc