Interior LED lighting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rekray1982

Interior LED lighting

Post by Rekray1982 »

Good morning, I have a question and not sure if it's me being daft or not. My interior light failed and I'm trying to replace them. They arn't the brightest anyway and with small children who like to drop things I thought about replacing them with LED's. My issue is that whilst driving and the lights not on, they still have a small glow to them. They do go off when car is locked or engine is off after a about a minute or so. I just bought these ones as I thought about doing the licence plate as well but they are a little to small in width to get a good connection. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0899YTC6G? ... tails&th=1 . They say nothing about being canbus error free but I don't get any errors showing up for them. Do i need to replace them with something better or is it something that I have to live with. They are barely noticeable when driving but I know it's there.

Thank you.

Leigh
2008 C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.8 Petrol
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Interior LED lighting

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Be very aware about using LEDs to replace filament bulbs. They are not designed for the electrical circuits as they draw too little current and this will cause issues like glowing or flickering or bulb-out warnings.

You can do the interior lights with LEDs like the W5Ws, but get a reputable brand, not the cheap stuff off some sites that will cause you problems. Get CAN Bus compatible bulbs as these should have load resistors to prevent the issues you are talking about.

As for the exterior, again I can't emphasise this enough - do NOT get super bright LEDs as they can blind drivers at the rear or distract them at night as you can be prosecuted if these are found to be the cause in an accident. The same goes for any other exterior lights. You can get legal upgrades for these lights that are a little brighter than the stock bulbs, but remain legal - the packaging should state this if buying from UK stores like Halfords.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Rekray1982

Post by Rekray1982 »

Thank you, I didn't know I could get brighter W5W's as halogen so will put those on licence plate instead, as for the interior ones, i will replace them with canbus compatible ones.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I meant that some interior lighting are W5Ws - but on a C4 Picasso first generation you should also have W5Ws for the licence plate too.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Rekray1982

Post by Rekray1982 »

No worries, I got what you were saying.