Citroen Dispatch keyless

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tonybell

Citroen Dispatch keyless

Post by Tonybell »

Hi, I have a 2017 Dispatch which is one of the top models with electric sliding doors, keyless ignition etc. I'm having an intermittent problem that the van does not recognise I'm in the vehicle with the key. I have replaced both batteries in both keys and it makes no difference which key i have. Each key will open the van remotely every time irrespective if the fault is present or not. The first sign i get that theres going to be a problem is when I grab the drivers door handle to get in, if it doesn't unlock then I know the problem is active, and have to open the van with the fob.
I jump in the van and nothing happens as if the key is not there. After maybe 10 or 15 minutes of locking and unlocking the van, opening and closing all the doors it eventually recognises the key and will start. It then says on the dash, 'fault with front fog lamps' although there isn't a fault with them.
It's a pain in the arse especially when my wife and daughter are driving it, and the problem is not
always there. Any help would be appreciated, I dont have much hair now, but its getting thinner by the day now 😀
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: Citroen Dispatch keyless

Post by Paul-R »

How old is the battery? How many miles has the car done?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Tonybell

Post by Tonybell »

It's a 2017 Dispatch with 67000 miles on the clock
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

And the battery? Is it original or has it been replaced? If replaced is it the correct type? What date and mileage then. A clue to the battery type may be printed on the sticker with the tyre pressures.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Never seen a Dispatch that age with keyless, must be quite rare/high spec.
Does the fault only happen when it is parked in the same place/area or can it happen anywhere?

As a side note are you aware that there is an emergency start/programming point on the car that should allow the van to start even if there is no battery in the remotes?
It will be located on the left hand side of the steering column that should at leas allow you to start the van.
Would like to see if it starts every time like this whilst the fault is occuring.
Attachments
key sensor.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are multiple configurations for these vans regarding unlocking the the cabin, doors and storage compartments, which can be configured, but having read through your issues regarding the Hands free issue, I can't see that any apply to your situation.

It is likely to be down to a faulty Hands Free module given the random behaviour or a faulty receiver aerial in the vehicle. I suggest it needs a full diagnosis with a dealer to determine the exact issue as a generic code reader won't cut the mustard on these systems.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

I’d say yes it is likely a receiver issue unless its only happening in one location, if it only ever happens when its parked in the same location then it could be signal interference.
Tonybell

Post by Tonybell »

It doesn't happen at the same place, it could happen anywhere. With the emergency start option on the steering column, is that designed to be used only if the key battery is flat ? But will give it a go next time the fault occurs. The problem with going to the main dealer to get the fault diagnosed is I can't start the van when the fault occurs so I can't drive it there, unless they can diagnose a previous fault ?
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Not just a dead key battery but any time really that the car doesn’t recognise the key.
This should in theory bypass the keyless receiver too.
Tonybell

Post by Tonybell »

The main battery doesn't have a date on it, or t least I can't see one anyway but the main battery is fine i don't that is connected to the problem, all winter it has started fine and never failed to start or even struggle. Wouldn't start first thing again this morning, put the key against the steering column as suggested but made no difference I'm afraid. I had to open and lock the van numerous times and it eventually recognised the key and started. Intermittent faults are always the worst and most difficult to diagnose, but any suggestions that may help will be appreciated.
Tonybell

Post by Tonybell »

The main battery doesn't have a date on it, or t least I can't see one anyway but the main battery is fine i don't that is connected to the problem, all winter it has started fine and never failed to start or even struggle. Wouldn't start first thing again this morning, put the key against the steering column as suggested but made no difference I'm afraid. I had to open and lock the van numerous times and it eventually recognised the key and started. Intermittent faults are always the worst and most difficult to diagnose, but any suggestions that may help will be appreciated.
Attachments
This I assume is where the key goes on the column, its even key shaped.
This I assume is where the key goes on the column, its even key shaped.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

As a chicken soup type remedy, if you have the time and means, trickle charge the main battery for 24~48 hours and see if it makes a difference.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Tonybell wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 09:33 The main battery doesn't have a date on it, or t least I can't see one anyway but the main battery is fine i don't that is connected to the problem, all winter it has started fine and never failed to start or even struggle. Wouldn't start first thing again this morning, put the key against the steering column as suggested but made no difference I'm afraid. I had to open and lock the van numerous times and it eventually recognised the key and started. Intermittent faults are always the worst and most difficult to diagnose, but any suggestions that may help will be appreciated.
17100595326391310728243356977189.jpg
Yes this is the emergency start/sync point.
Hold the remote against it with the badge side against the plastic.
Tonybell

Post by Tonybell »

Will give it a go. I'm away with work but will try later on in the week.
Tonybell

Post by Tonybell »

Still having starting problems. Wouldn't start yesterday, tried putting the key at the side of the steering column but made no difference, both sides of the key tried. After 5 minutes of locking and unlocking it finally recognised the key and started. Running out of options now, can't go to the main dealer because the fault isn't always present, so to get it to the dealer it would need to start and obviously the fault isn't then present for the dealer to find the fault. HELP 😩😩