Citroen C5 2.0i 16v auto, the car eats axles!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thundermaster

Citroen C5 2.0i 16v auto, the car eats axles!

Post by thundermaster »

HELP! The car eats axles.

I have changed the right half axle three times since Christmas. It works fine for four or five days and then in reverse with the steering wheel cut to the right, or even after stopping and restarting, the car jerks violently until I get out of gear and the driveshaft breaks. Does anyone have any ideas? The garage told me that it might be because there is no genuine, and the aftermarket might not be as strong, but I find the excuse ridiculous.
thundermaster

Re: Citroen C5 2.0i 16v auto, the car eats axles!

Post by thundermaster »

Solved! The puppetplayers in the garage used wrong part!!!!!

Changed the left half axle and the problem stopped after it fell apart on the road. Yes, it was the left one that had a problem and they had put in the wrong part code. My right one was told by the repair shop I went to now that, visually at least, it doesn't seem to have a problem.
However, when I cut the steering wheel all the way to the right, two or three times there was a loud sound like kicking metal. The car shakes for hours at around 100 kilometers per hour, but not always, and ten days ago, at an unsuspected time, the gearbox faulty indicator came on, locking the transmission in third gear. After turning off and restarting the engine, the indicator goes away and the transmission appears to be working normally. Any ideas?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The transmission problem can have many causes, you need to get the fault codes read with a diagnostic machine.
But first of all check that your 2 front tyres are identical make and size.
kantica

Post by kantica »

It seems that the new driveshaft is short(er) than the original one. Can you measure original one ? Do you still have it ? Most of the time aftermarket driveshafts are not suitable for hydraulic cars (they are too short). You need proper driveshaft part numbers. Also look at your original driveshaft there should be a label with information about what kind it is (GKN, NTN, PSA) and further markings.
thundermaster

Post by thundermaster »

The metal kicking sound appears on reverse with the steering wheel cut to the right,. After that, the car does a clonk when starting to move in normal driving. The clonking disappears usually after 5 minutes until the next reverse with the steering wheel cut to the right. Does the shorter driveshaft have to do anything with the 'gearbox faulty' indicator? Is that possible?
kantica

Post by kantica »

Compare your original driveshaft with currently installed one. Compare length of driveshaft and length and size of cv joints. Also as xantia_v6 wrote do diag check and see what fault codes are saved to find out why "gearbox faulty" was indicated.
thundermaster

Post by thundermaster »

Three minutes ago when I was driving, the car did a sudden kick and gearbox faulty appeared. After switching off and on engine, everything seems to be ok. I suspect the differential. I have to go to a mechanic immediately and I hope to be the right driveshaft and not anything else..
cit-rotti
Donor 2024

Post by cit-rotti »

If the original shafts cannot be supplied by PSA, it is difficult to find the right one on the aftermarket.

The first thing to do is to find out the correct part number from Citroen - this is actually only possible via the chassis number (VIN) and the chargeable hotline. Donors can obtain this via this forum.

Even with the correct number, shafts of different lengths are available on the aftermarket. With shafts from GKN, you are usually on the right side as far as length is concerned, because the manufacturer GKN is an original equipment manufacturer for PSA.

Greetings Wolfgang
thundermaster

Post by thundermaster »

Workshop diagnosed that front wishbones need replacement. The gearbox faulty has to do something with pressure but they don't know exactly
thundermaster

Post by thundermaster »

Could anyone vtell me which oil type does the al4 take?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

LT71141.

It is not recommended to use anything else.
thundermaster

Post by thundermaster »

Many thanks! Finally, after wishbones replacement, 'gearbox faulty' has gone. Car rides ok, but I feel a slight quake when I go on DRIVE position, when I am stopped. This slight quake is bigger when I have the a/c on. This is not happening on N, P or reverse. Any ideas?