Xantia dead clutch (1,9 TD VSX 96')

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

big_lorry
My Cars:

Xantia dead clutch (1,9 TD VSX 96')

Post by big_lorry »

Not sure what's wrong, at first I thought it was the dreaded pedal clip 'AGAIN' but looking further the pedal and cable seem ok.
The lever the cable attaches to is loose, it can move backwards and forwards freely, more than the travel of the cable.
Does this mean a new clutch is required?.
Is it a job best left to a garage, the Haynes list of things to remove before you can get at the transmission seems endless.
Can this be done on the street with ramps and a trolly jack?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sounds like the release bearing has pulled through the pressure plate - so yes it looks like it's new clutch time [:(]
You're right it's a long and involved job (one I am not looking forward to when it becomes necessary in the next year or so...[xx(]) and will be costed accordingly if you pay someone to do it (if they will even touch it!). It's probably possible with only jacks, but it is not going to be easy to get the box in and out - much easier with a hoist of some sort - especially as the box has to be rotated after disengaging from the engine in order to get it out past the subframe.
big_lorry
My Cars:

Post by big_lorry »

Thanks Richard
Got a quote from Arnold clark £590 @:?>}{ ouch
Clutch from GSF is £79 just does'nt compare, I will probably hav a go unless I can find a better price.
Cheers
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I did mine without using a hoist, using just a trolley jack and brute force. Yes it is possible but no its not easy.
In the end I cheated, using a plank of wood with rope to hold the box, but all of the lifting was done with the jack. I was able to lift the box, support its weight with the wood/rope and reposition the jack to rotate the box into place.
Mine hadn't pulled its release bearing through, and its friction plate wasn't very worn (after 150k miles) but half of the springs in the centre of the friction plate had come out, and the centre of the friction plate had pieces missing from it. The springs got in between the pressure plate and the friction plate and made a lot of noise.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Try a local Puegeot dealer if you have one.They changed my cambelt for £140,Citroen wanted £380!!Labour rate is half that of Citroen at my local dealer(Bristol).My be worth a try.
big_lorry
My Cars:

Post by big_lorry »

I found a small garage to do it for £160 and I supplied the clutch, so hope it should be ok
cheers