Xantia clicking noise/ lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnacky

Xantia clicking noise/ lights

Post by johnacky »

When my xantia 1.8LX is idiling, it makes a clicking noise every 10 - 20 seconds. Any ideas what this could be?
Also ive just checked the lights, and they dont seem to work. (only just purchased it). Would this be a fuse?
Thanks guys.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The clicking noise would be the accumalator.This is found at the front of the engine between the rad.It should click every 2-3 mins.Clicking as it is means it needs changing.(looks like a sphere)I just had mine done as it was clicking every 3 secs.Do a search at the top of page for more info.
What lights dont work??
johnacky

Post by johnacky »

Mines clicking every 8 seconds. Ive only bought it recently, but the guy said it had had the front spears replaced recently.
This may sound a silly question, but what is a spear, and is it an easy do DIY. Also how much are they.
Yep, both the fron an rear lights dont work. I presume this is down to a fuse.
Thanks for the advice!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

All over your car there will be green globes (about the size of a grapefruit); the two easiest ones to see are on the top of the front suspension mounts each side. Have a look down behind (engine side) of the radiator; you'll see another one. That's the accumulator sphere and the (probable) cause of your rapid tickng. A new one is less than £20, and is easy with the right tool (1 hour-ish). You can fashion a "home-made" version out of a big jubilee clip and a bit of inner tube as well; such methods are well documented on this forum!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johnacky</i>

Yep, both the fron an rear lights dont work. I presume this is down to a fuse.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I am fairly certain the front lights are on separate fuses. Both may have blown but with the rears out as well it's more likely the switch.[xx(]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Mines clicking every 8 seconds. Ive only bought it recently, but the guy said it had had the front spears replaced recently.
This may sound a silly question, but what is a spear, and is it an easy do DIY. Also how much are they.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I assume these are all questions ? ? ? [;)]
They are 'spheres' not 'spears'. Spears are pointed things you use to stab previous owners with [}:)] Do not try this at home.
They are green steel globes full of compressed nitrogen that carry out the function of a spring plus damper as on lesser cars. They need replacing on a regular basis as a maintenance item.
There is an accumulator sphere near the front of the engine whose job is to act as a reserve of hydraulic pressure. As others have said, this probably needs replacing. The click comes from a ball valve in the pressure regulator (thing that the acc sphere is attached to)
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Yep, both the fron an rear lights dont work. I presume this is down to a fuse.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As Homer says, probably the switch - makers always avoid using the same fuse for all lights for obvious reasons