C5x, 130hp, EAT8 rattle when in reverse

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KZ1981

C5x, 130hp, EAT8 rattle when in reverse

Post by KZ1981 »

Hi,

bought C5x 130 hp in December last year. It was a test car with 11k km on the clock. In general, I am very satisfied, but there is one thing that worries me. I am almost always hearing a metallic rattle from underneath of the car when I am slowly crawling backwards. Initially I thought there must some small metallic plate loose. After visiting Citroen service, they told me that sound originates from gearbox, that this in the tolerance of manufacturer and there is nothing to worry about. Quite frankly I was very surprised by explanation of Citroen service. In my mind if something rattle in a mechanical assembly cannot be neither normal neither good. I intend to go to another Citroen service for second opinion.

I have a video in which rattle is clearly heard in background but can not attach to this post - it gives arror "invalid file extension". File format is MP4.

Anyway, please let me know if any of you have experienced this rattling and is so, did you solved it? Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C5x, 130hp, EAT8 rattle when in reverse

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you have a YouTube video of the noise you can just paste the link here, but we don't accept audio links directly.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
KZ1981

Post by KZ1981 »

GiveMeABreak, thanks for the tip!

Below is the link to video. You can hear metalic rattle in between the parking sensors beeping.

If anyone has a similar experiance?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can't really hear the sound very clearly. but there is also one other possibility to consider. When engaging reverse, the climate control system cuts off the external air intake temporarily to avoid the exhaust fumes from being sucked up into the air intake as you reverse. There may be a slight noise detected from the mtor reduction gear, as the exterior air intake is shut off, before it opens gain when going forward or in neutral.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
KZ1981

Post by KZ1981 »

Hello,

Marc, thanks for reply. Funny thing. After switching winter for summer tyres rattle disapered entirely. I guess that at the service shop they were wrong and sound didnt originated from gearbox. I also noticed that when moving in reverse very slowly, some minor vibrations were felt before, I guest through the chasis of the car, but this are also gone now. What could this mean? What was cousing the metalic ratle and vibrations? Could have this somehow be related with the braking system? Maybe ABS sensors, or something? I am curious to know.
KZ1981

Post by KZ1981 »

btw, only tyres were switched, alloys remain the same (original 19")