Buying Advice Peugeot 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gabe_TLV

Buying Advice Peugeot 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8

Post by Gabe_TLV »

Hi Guys
Am considering the above new vehicle and would love to hear from those who drive one.
Are you happy with the vehicle? Has it been reliable? Would you buy another?

Thanks!
Last edited by Gabe_TLV on 24 Feb 2024, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Buying Advice Peugeot 2008 Allure 1.2L 130hp AT8

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Is this new or used? If used, make sure you pay very particular attention to the timing belt and previous servicing as these engines have a 'wet belt' system where the timing belt runs in oil. The belts must be checked at every service for signs of degrading and replaced at about 62k miles or sooner if needed. The engine oil is extremely important and must be to the exact specifications for this reason.

If the belts start to break up, they can cause oil starvation from the material clogging up the strainer, then worse, can cause braking vacuum loss and ultimately starve the engine of oil. If this happens at speed, it can cause catastrophic engine failure as by the time the engine oil light comes on it is generally too late.

If getting one new, make sure you keep to the servicing schedules at the dealer for any warranty period, and do not miss them. They should be annual or within the stated max. mileage - whichever comes first in order to maintain any warranty.

The engines are very nippy though, but this is the Achilles heel.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gabe_TLV

Post by Gabe_TLV »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 11:21 Is this new or used? If used, make sure you pay very particular attention to the timing belt and previous servicing as these engines have a 'wet belt' system where the timing belt runs in oil. The belts must be checked at every service for signs of degrading and replaced at about 62k miles or sooner if needed. The engine oil is extremely important and must be to the exact specifications for this reason.

If the belts start to break up, they can cause oil starvation from the material clogging up the strainer, then worse, can cause braking vacuum loss and ultimately starve the engine of oil. If this happens at speed, it can cause catastrophic engine failure as by the time the engine oil light comes on it is generally too late.

If getting one new, make sure you keep to the servicing schedules at the dealer for any warranty period, and do not miss them. They should be annual or within the stated max. mileage - whichever comes first in order to maintain any warranty.

The engines are very nippy though, but this is the Achilles heel.
Thanks so much! Yes I'm buying new and will take my car to be serviced by Peugeot every year. I've heard a lot about the wet belt issue (slightly confusing as I thought they'd dealt with the issue but apparently not).
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It may be that you have a revised belt fitted, but the servicing schedule will determine this. I can confirm with the VIN once you have the car. But regardless, it is an inherent issue with this engine.

Ford also have similar issues with their ecotech 1.2 engines and there are recalls in place as we speak.

It's a stupid idea, but too late to do anything about it now as the engine was in design for years and they now have to go with what they have and just ensure the belts are regularly checked.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Oldpug

Post by Oldpug »

I would not go near a Peugeot/Citroen wet belt engine, so many issues. Just look at the amount of threads about this engine on here and other sites. That engine is a nightmare. Plenty of other engines to choose from.