Wheel bolt sheared !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul Thomas
My Cars:

Wheel bolt sheared !

Post by Paul Thomas »

One of my wheel bolts sheared in half when I was removing it.
What's the easiest way to remove the half left in the hub ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Can you tap it round with a punch and get enough of the stub so that you can get a mole grip on it?
If that doesn't work start drilling a hole in the centre. Its important to drill in the centre as what you do is to enlarge the hole until there's practically no bolt left. Drill your first hole quite deep and try and get something to stick in it and unvind the bult (sharp file tang or similar). If you have an 'easyout' you can try it but be careful about breaking it - they tend to be very brittle - so wait until you have enlarged the hole and can get a large one in.
My guess is that now the top has come off the bolt it won't be very tight and if you are not careful when you drill it it will carry on into its thread and drop out the other side - so if this starts to happen make sure you can get the stub out.
jeremy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I would try a bit of heat as well, before trying to shift it; either oxy-acetylene, or blowtorch, as presumably it sheared because it seized in the hub.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Heat on a wheel hub means heat on a wheel bearing.
Personally, I don't like carbonising the grease inside my wheel bearings, so I would avoid the flame option for heating. I've found that welding something to the stub of a snapped off bolt / stud etc applies heat directly where its needed and doesn't go heating up a load of stuff that doesn't need heating up.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sorry to say but if it sheared off while undoing it aint going to come out any more. You'll need to wind it back in. This means the drum has to come off. Apply loads of plus gas or simelar. Then using an easy out (left handed thread) unscrew it out. Also woulnd't try the heating up method as per reasons as above.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

You would think that heat would cause trouble with the bearings, but in practice it doesn't actually seem to, as the grease is high melting point- do some heavy braking and then try to touch the discs- you will then find out how much heat it can take!!!!![:0]the main thing is to make sure you don't burn the seals.