GSA Clutch Question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stinkwheel

GSA Clutch Question

Post by Stinkwheel »

OK so now you have all got over the initial shock of someone asking a GSA question in the first place.................
Anyone done a clutch on one? I know some one will have sometime or another. Does the Front undertray have to come off to allow the engine out? Haynes is pretty unclear. (no change there then)
Matt
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Long ago, changed the camshafts in the street and without needing to drop the valence.... think the engine could probably come forward and up enough to just clear the bumper etc but light though the unit is, it probably would be easier in the end to drop the tray anyway. That was a stainless-steel bumpered GS though so don't know if the same goes for later plastic ones.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Done loads of GS/GSA clutches, although the last was over 11 years ago, not a lot of demand if you know what I mean.
Its front bumper off, then headlamps and indicators out, then the headlamp panel, then finally the undertray. This all sounds simple but unfortunately most of the 10/11mm headed bolts holding the above in place will have siezed.
Its then a simple matter of disconnecting the HP pipe from the pump at the pressure reg, then undoing the two 17mm bottom engine mountings, then the clamps securing the front exhaust pipes to the manifolds, the preheat pipe on the RH side with the 14mm bolt must also be undone and twisted towards the inner wing. Then, the gearbox should be raised and supported by an axle stand, and the 4 x 17mm nuts holding the engine to the g/box can be undone, and the engine can be pulled forward and out by 2 strong people, remembering that all the weight is at the back of the engine!Thats the basics.
In practice you also need to remove the heater motor and pipes,the bonnet cable, and disconnect the wiring from the alternator. Also, remove the 2 heat shields that clip over the exhaust front pipes. I think thats about it, I used to do these most weeks at one time. If you are fairly local to me, I'd give a hand, it would be a pleasure to do one after all these years. Used to enjoy driving and working on GSA's and they paid the deposit on my first house.
[:)]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thanks Folks,
I started taking the front end apart at about 6.30 this eve, by 8.30 the undertray, valance etc etc were all off and the fiddly bits are ready to be taken off to allow the engine out.
It was easier to take the front off this one than the last GSA i took apart about 4 years ago. Last time it was just to replace the rusty under-tray with a better one. Will have to do the same with my 78 GS soon also, mechanically its fine but rust is taking hold.
Jon, very kind of you to offer, Im In Northants, if you are nearby feel free to come by and get your hands dirty.
TTFN
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi there
Providing front panel comes off easily, GSA is a very easy engine to remove, but, if the front pipes look at all suspect, replace them while the engine is out [;)]
If you lower the engine on to a beer crate or similar, you can just push the car off it!
Cut a couple of notches in a piece of 15mm copper pipe to make a tool to remove the headlamp retainers.
They are a very underrated car [:(]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thanks guys,
Clutch is done, engne back etc etc, going to pick up some new cam-belts hopefully this weekend and do them also, the ones on look a bit perished so best be safe whilst the front is off.
Indeed they are underrated cars mike, i used to own an X reg GSA pallas(gs dash type) and also currently have a GS 1220 Club.
Cheers
Matt S
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Matt
Ah! [:)] I know who you are now! My GSA is in hibernation at the moment waiting for me to fit a sill and the 4 long pipes - I <b>miss</b> it [:(]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

For anyone interested: cheapie but non-MOTed GS when I last looked on UK ebay. In Hertford if I remember correctly.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Yes i would miss it too mike :-)
Where did you get the sills from by the way? It seems they are scarce nowadays.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

<<<<<"Rust Never Sleeps" said Neil Young. Did he own old citroens?>>>
Nah - must have been a "Ford Escrot" - which was
the heading for a car ad I once saw in my local paper...
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

makes a change from all those "Citreons" i see advertised.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Where did you get the sills from by the way? It seems they are scarce nowadays.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Matt
I got them from Malcolm Lockwood (Bradford) a few years ago (it has been waiting a while!) but I doubt if he has any left now. There is a bit of discussion going on at the moment on the GSA-L yahoo group about a source of G panels, so worth going there for a look.
I think Rob Moss (Chevronics) may do them, as well.
Regarding 'Citreons' [sic] I always look for this on fleabay, 'Citron' as well; misspelt descriptions always attract less bids.
On another forum, we have a sort of a running list on how many misspellings of 'Bakelite' we can find on ebay! There are about 8 up to now!
I will soon have my masters' degree in ebayese [;)]