Help. Coolant in header tank cold & fluctuating temperature gauge issues.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

swinman

Help. Coolant in header tank cold & fluctuating temperature gauge issues.

Post by swinman »

Hi New to the forums. I have a Peugeot 2008 with the 1.6 HDI Blue 100 engine. I am having issues with the temperature gauge fluctuating, the car runs up to temperature then rises just below the red section then drops down to just above 90. I have had the car checked out by a auto electrician & he diagnosed the temperature sensor switch was faulty. I have changed the sensor, but i am still having the same problem. When I went for a test drive to see if everything was ok, I had the same problem, I only travelled a couple of miles up the road. I pulled over & checked the engine, the water in the header tank was cold. the top radiator & heater hoses were hot, bottom hose cold. I have heard that the water pump fails on these engines or the thermostat fails. Ive been quoted between £250 to £270 for an thermostat housing & £140 for a timing belt kit with a water pump. I don't know, if I'm honest which one to go for next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: Help. Coolant in header tank cold & fluctuating temperature gauge issues.

Post by RichardW »

Generally a failed water pump will lead to overheating under load (i.e. climbing a hill) whereas a failed thermostat gives unreliable temperature control. To me sounds like the stat is faulty, but it could be the sensor leading you astray. Need to check whether it's really too hot. This weather, it will take a long time for the header tank to get hot, it's only an expansion tank.
Richard W
swinman

Post by swinman »

Hi Richard. Thanks for your reply. Yes I was climbing a hill at the time... Also when I checked the header tank, when releasing the cap there was no pressure there & the water in the tank was stone cold.
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

I do not know how old the car is but the blue hdi engines started about 2015. If your car is this old it is getting due for a timing belt change so if this needs to be done it is not wasted money. You have not mentioned if the engine fan is coming on, this ought to be around 96°C so if the gauge is going up to the red section I would have thought it should be running - if not then something else that might need sorting. If you have a code reader that does live data you can see what temperatures the sensor is giving and when the thermostat is opening (should start around 90°C) and the top hose gets warm.
swinman

Post by swinman »

Hi. Update.... It was water pump failure, the impeller was intact, but it was turning on the shaft. The temperature gauge sits just above the 90 no issues. Thank you for your input & advice.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent, useful to know :) I last had exactly that on a 2.0HDi in a Pug 407. Confused the heck out of several others who checked all the usual suspects and found them good...

A good excuse to swap the cam belt too. I trust you did the same whilst all was in bits...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
swinman

Post by swinman »

Hi Citrojim. Yes new timing belt kit fitted.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

swinman wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 11:14 Hi Citrojim. Yes new timing belt kit fitted.
Excellent!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...