Why does Citroen recommend 5w30 when Toyota recommends 0w20?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
Lecit

Why does Citroen recommend 5w30 when Toyota recommends 0w20?

Unread post by Lecit »

Hello,

Why the oil recommended for the 1KR-FE is 5w30 (B71 2297) for all regions according do this post:

viewtopic.php?t=75918

Even though Toyota recommends 0w20 with only API SN ?

I already put a fully synthetic 5w30 with API SP (not B71 2297) so I think it's alright because Toyota said it's also ok, but that I should replace it with 0w20 the next time.

But now after seeing the above post I'm confused again.

Is the 0w20 recommended by Toyota because they want to have better fuel economy and maybe meet some other requirements? Or they really found that the 0w20 protects better?

The post above is an update from 2021 and Toyota still recommends 0w20 even after 2021 in their service book

Thanks!
Last edited by Lecit on 09 Feb 2024, 09:43, edited 4 times in total.
bobins
Donor 2023

Re: Why does Citroen recommend 5w30 when Toyota recommends 0w20?

Unread post by bobins »

Whilst I can't answer the specific questions regarding the Toyota / Citroen engines, I've noticed over recent years that even the 'oil finder' online apps that the oil companies and parts supplies use have been moving towards 'thinner' oils where appropriate - this includes engines that have previously used 'thicker' oils but they're now recommending 'thinner' oils. At a guess I'd say this is for 'greenwashing' reasons in that their oils (and manufacturer's cars) are now x% more efficient than they were. It'd make precious little difference in the average motorists daily driving, but overall the oil companies and manufacturers can claim great efficiency savings. :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Armidillo
(Donor 2022)

Unread post by Armidillo »

Hi Lecit

As Israel (like Australia, where I live) has a hotter climate than most of Europe, I would stick with the 5W30. I would be concerned that the 0W20 might struggle to provide adequate lubrication in really hot conditions. Since cold oil is thicker than hot oil, it's not the 0W that might be the problem - it's the 20.

However it's very important that the oil you use meets or exceeds the API standard - which you have done, as SP exceeds SN.

In my experience PSA usually has an alternate oil recommendation for "arduous conditions". If there is such a recommendation for your engine, then I would use that - especially in summer.

Cheers
Alec
Lecit

Unread post by Lecit »

Armidillo wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 21:11 Hi Lecit

As Israel (like Australia, where I live) has a hotter climate than most of Europe, I would stick with the 5W30. I would be concerned that the 0W20 might struggle to provide adequate lubrication in really hot conditions. Since cold oil is thicker than hot oil, it's not the 0W that might be the problem - it's the 20.

However it's very important that the oil you use meets or exceeds the API standard - which you have done, as SP exceeds SN.

In my experience PSA usually has an alternate oil recommendation for "arduous conditions". If there is such a recommendation for your engine, then I would use that - especially in summer.

Cheers
Alec
thank you. Yes, PSA recommends their B71 2297 standard and I'll then just stick to 5W30 and look for the B71 2297