C5 mk1 wipers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Oldbutnotdead

C5 mk1 wipers

Post by Oldbutnotdead »

(single motor, not the twin motor setup)
Really annoying fault caused by me. Frosty night last week, accidentally knocked the wiper control while demisting inside screen. Wipers twitched but were frozen to the screen.
Next day, frost gone but wipers don't work. Mr Haynes tells me F17 in the engine fusebox- yep its blown. Didn't have a spare 30A fuse so stuck a 20 in. Wipers still don't work, fuse OK though. Tried resetting the BSI-still no work. Acquired a 30A fuse- still no work, fuse still good.
So I've now extracted the wiper motor. Again according to Haynes, pin 5 is ground, pin 4 is for the home switch, pin 3 is dfa, pin 2 looks like a control line, pin 1 looks like motor power.
I'm getting no voltage on any of the wires into the motor from the car. Connecting pin 5 on the motor to ground and pin 1 to 12v gives a spark and a click, same with pin 2 to 12v. Again according to Haynes 1 and 2 would never be at +12 simultaneously.
Question- is it possible that one operation has fried the BSI, the motor and the fuse?
Question 2- anyone got an actual wiring diagram for motor/control (so i can definitively test the motor. Its a Bosch 390 241 701)
TIA
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C5 mk1 wipers

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll need to supply your VIN for a diagram. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.

Likely to be the following until you supply your VIN:
Pin 4 is Fixed Stop Command
Pin 1 is High speed motor command
Pin 2 is Low speed motor command
Pin 5 Earth
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Oldbutnotdead

Post by Oldbutnotdead »

Cheers buddy, yes that above corresponds with Mr Haynes- is my test on the motor (+12 to pin 1 or pin 2, 0v to pin 5) valid?
VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As per my previous post, but here's the diagram:

Marc
Oldbutnotdead

Post by Oldbutnotdead »

Brilliant, thanks for that.
I miss real relays and things you could see....waiting for a replacement wiper motor (ebay special so fingers crossed), if it doesn't work when i plug it in i think a big fat bodge with a couple of relays will be in order. Think Mr Haynes is trying to confuse me- he reckons the BSI in the glovebox contains the 'relays' for the wipers but his drawings and the above seem to imply the 'relays' are in the engine fusebox..... Are either of those 2 coded to the key- if yes then oops, i don't have the key card.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

BSI is coded to the vehicle, but not the engine fuse box on this model. :wink1:

Marc
Oldbutnotdead

Post by Oldbutnotdead »

Ahhh, thank you very much. That diagram suggests the dead bit is in the engine fusebox (whatever they have used instead of relays)- there's a few on Ebay for £20 or so, that'll give me a hobby :)

Cheers