Xantia Warning Lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lozkb

Xantia Warning Lights

Post by lozkb »

I've got a 1993 1.9TD which, touch wood, has been very reliable and still drives very well.
I'm currently suffering from a dashboard that is showing a lot of warning lights at the moment and is getting progressively worse. It started out on Wednesday when the STOP, Oil Can, Excalmation Mark and Coolant Temp lights came on when the engine was ticking over. As soon as revs were applied, the lights would disappear.
When starting the engine, and driving for the first few minutes, the lights don't appear, but as soon as the engine is warmed up, the lights come on. When this first started the lights appeared below about 1,250 revs, but now the lights remain on after the engine has warmed up.
There hasn't been a noticeable change in performance.
I've topped up the coolant, LHM and oil, but this has not made any difference.
Has anyone experienced this problem? My initial thoughts are a faulty oil pressure switch.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It sounds like an oil pressure related problem, as the oil pressure switch is used to test all those lights at start up. With the lights on, pull the cable off the switch and then ground it, and they should go out. Without access to an oil pressure gauge you're going to have to change the switch to a known good one to eliminate that. If you still have problems with the lights, then it's likely to get a whole lot more difficult and expensive.....
lozkb

Post by lozkb »

RichardW - many thanks, all fingers crossed that it's a switch problem, and not oil pressure.
I've got a new oil pressure switch on order from the local Citroen dealership as it's only £7. I'll see if that makes a difference. Are they easy to replace?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's easy enough to change as it's on the front of the block and just unscrews. However, on a TD you might find access is very restricted and the only way to extract will be to get hold of a deep socket. I had one on a BX TD that went a bit iffy, bought a new one, but never got it fitted as I couldn't get to it, and changing the oil stopped the problem (my was the other way - no warning light at start up). Switch is still on the shelf in my garage, along with a cold start cable I didn't fit to the Xantia TD 'cos I couldn't get to that either![8)]