Ds3 "superknock"

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
dylan26__
Donor 2024

Ds3 "superknock"

Unread post by dylan26__ »

Hi all, just wondering what the car means by "knock, superknock" can't really find much detail online.. ovbiously the knock sensor has detected knocking in the engine but I've never heard of superknock

Timing belt has not been changed since the car was new in 2016, I have got it booked in for that due to the dreaded wet belt system. Wondering if timing may have slipped slightly. Or what is causing the detonation.

The fault code is p3061 on the 1.2puretech engine

VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: Ds3 "superknock"

Unread post by xantia_v6 »

"superknock" is just a really big knock. The engine ECU is continually adjusting the ignition timing so that the combustion is just on the edge of knocking (which is the most efficient setting), but the knock produced during this process is slight and inaudible.

Occasionally the engine will use a part of the ignition map which his not configured correctly, maybe due to a change in fuel octane, or perhaps driving up a steep hill, and the engine will produce loud audible knocking while the ECU adjusts the timing and boost level. This is called superknock. If superknock occurs for more than about half a second or too often, the ECU will throw a "superknock" error code which indicates that the ECU is not able to control the timing correctly.

On our car we have had superknock from low octane petrol, and also from a fault in the boost control system that was causing momentary over-boost while accelerating. Take note of the driving conditions when the error occurs.
dylan26__
Donor 2024

Re: Ds3 "superknock"

Unread post by dylan26__ »

xantia_v6 wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 17:55 "superknock" is just a really big knock. The engine ECU is continually adjusting the ignition timing so that the combustion is just on the edge of knocking (which is the most efficient setting), but the knock produced during this process is slight and inaudible.

Occasionally the engine will use a part of the ignition map which his not configured correctly, maybe due to a change in fuel octane, or perhaps driving up a steep hill, and the engine will produce loud audible knocking while the ECU adjusts the timing and boost level. This is called superknock. If superknock occurs for more than about half a second or too often, the ECU will throw a "superknock" error code which indicates that the ECU is not able to control the timing correctly.

On our car we have had superknock from low octane petrol, and also from a fault in the boost control system that was causing momentary over-boost while accelerating. Take note of the driving conditions when the error occurs.
Doesn't necessarily seem like a reoccurring code as I can't actually clear it from the ECU, suggestions on what to do? My gf filled it and it was running on premium E5 fuel for a single tank then she put E5 back in it and I've discovered this code while diagnosing parking sensors