Indicator Issue on C3 Picasso (2014)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
the_wondering_owl

Indicator Issue on C3 Picasso (2014)

Unread post by the_wondering_owl »

Hi All,

got a curious issue that I would appreciate some advice on please.

Citroen C3 Picasso here a the rear drivers side indicator has stopped working (both via the stalk and with the hazard lights on)

I replaced the bulb (no visible marking or corrosion on the connectors) and still its not working.

I did a BSI reset (and recomended by many users here and else where) but that did not help.

I dont think its the stalk that the problem here as i have the same issue when i put on the hazard lights.

I do have a towbar fitted (many many years ago) and the indicator has never had an issue (well its going to be an MOT failure is it did) and i should point out that the bike rack (that i use the towbar for) has a full lighting board and its indicator is working fine.

Would appreciate any guidance here please

Cheers
Last edited by the_wondering_owl on 15 Jan 2024, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
the_wondering_owl

Re: Indicator Issue on C3 Picasso (2014)

i should add that the front indicators are working as it the passenger side rear one.

I don't see a fuse for indicators in the fuse box wiring diagram

I am also assuming the relay will cover all the indicator and not one per indicator (or 1 per side) but as my front driver side indicator is working fine then im amusing the relay is good
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

It sounds to me the usual Citroen light cluster issue... Bad connections that look fine but are not. It's been happening for ever... Since the very earliest models!

My first suspect would have been the towbar electrics but as your bike rack lights are good that would seem to exonerate them but it's still worth checking just in case there's a break between the towbar wiring and the light cluster...

Check with a voltmeter or a test bulb at the connector on the light cluster and see if any voltage is reaching that far... If yes, then it's the cluster and if not then trace the wiring back to the towbar wiring looking for a break.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
the_wondering_owl

Thanks for that Jim, will get a multimeter on the light bulb connector (i presume between the base of the bulb connect and the top bit (or the metal surrounding it) and presume i should be seeing 12v and 0v oscillating there.

When you say the light cluster connector do you mean the connector on the light cluster itself or the connector on the wiring loom going into it? Just wondering if its the cluster connector then getting a replacement light cluster would be the next sensible option.

I also saw a post on here (cant find it now though) showing a ground/earth issue (as a lot of current going from this cluster to ground on a small gauge wire) and someone put a self tapping screw between the earth on the on the light cluster (on one of the lights) and spliced it into the earth in the loom prior to the connector coming into the connector coming into the cluster.

cheers
Martin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Yes indeed, the connector going into the back of the cluster...

Test on the cluster between the bulb's centre contact point and the side where the bulb earths. Be aware that a modern digital voltmeter can give false indications in the presence of a high resistance. If you see volts on a meter, swap over to a test bulb on wires.

A good call on the earth. If all other bulbs in the cluster are good then it's unlikely but it could be internal to the cluster.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
the_wondering_owl

great thanks will test this out at lunchtime and report back :-)
the_wondering_owl

oh multimeter wasn't working, will have to check this out later on today after popping to screwfix
the_wondering_owl

Got a multimeter on the bulb connector there appears to be two distinct metal contacts inside the bulb holder. holding the multimeter on there i was getting voltage fluctuation (up to around 4 to 9v then back to 0 again) wondering if this is the multimeter not reacting quickly enough. strange though as i was not really expecting any voltage there. Interestingly there are 3 cables going into the bulb connector so unsure where the 3rd wire goes? i could not take the bulb connector apart to check the contact inside where the cables go as there appears to be be a moulded bit of plastic over it which i cant easily remove to test.

i could not actually remove the main connector to the rear light cluster (need to come back to this when i have more time, as i wanted to just connected it into the other side (to rule in or out the actual cluster being broken) so will come back to this.

the main connector for the whole cluster has 2 earth connectors and 2 other cables going in to it from the wiring loom presume the rear (main light) light and the indicator. I guess i can pop a multipeter on the output from the connector from the loom (once i can detatch the connector) and providing the probe from the multimeter can make a connection
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

On a multi-meter, looking at the indicators you will see a rough average voltage displayed as they cycle between on and off... Around 9v would be about right...

Do check all earths...
Jim

the_wondering_owl

Thanks Jim,

ummm that would imply that i have about voltage actually going into the lighbulb holder which is curious as to why its not working, i did pull up the bottom section a little in case is was not making full contact also.

do you know why there are 3 wires going into the light bulb holder too? would have thought +12v and earth?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Yes, very likely poor contacts with the bulb itself. Often caused by the springy strip that makes contact with the solder blob on the base of the bulb loosing temper and thus not making good contact with the bulb. Also a bit of tarnish on it can cause it.
the_wondering_owl wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 20:23
do you know why there are 3 wires going into the light bulb holder too? would have thought +12v and earth?
Maybe the third is a wire ongoing to the other cluster... If need be, I'll have a look at mine...
Jim

the_wondering_owl

thanks Jim,

would appreciate if you look at yours, does not seem to go to the other cluster, but my multimeter does not have long enough lead to confirm if there is 0 impedance, i guess if i could get the blob of plastic off the bulb connedtor i could see where it goes, but it just 3 cables going in nothing coming out (in the direction of the other cluster)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

AS soon as I can, I will. I'm out and about today but should have some time tomorrow. Hope that's OK?
Jim

the_wondering_owl

Hey Jim, absolutely fine, no worries. thanks for your assistance here anyway !!!
the_wondering_owl

CitroJim wrote: 16 Jan 2024, 14:58 AS soon as I can, I will. I'm out and about today but should have some time tomorrow. Hope that's OK?
Hi Jim, just wondering if you managed to take a look at this?