Changing DS9 shocks.

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DS9
Donor 2024

Changing DS9 shocks.

Post by DS9 »

Hi

I just wanted a bounce something off people on here.

I have a DS9, its the non PHEV and hasn't got active scan and as commented before I do not like the ride comfort, it makes a lot of noise and seems to pick up almost every imperfection in the road.

I got the car independently checked out yesterday and the garage put it up on the ramp and said apart from a few loose plastic surrounds which could vibrate (in fact one was touching the front drivers side shock) everything seems to be in order.

Searching for parts is difficult but I did come across what appear to be some breakers yard parts and the rear shocks have this serial number.

https://www.proxyparts.com/car-parts-st ... /19709562/

a cross check of the serial number took me here, apparently it's from the vauxhall parts bin. A surprise for me, I expected it to be peugeot/ Citroen but I do suppose Vauxhall are a part of the stellantis brand.

https://www.online-parts.co.uk/vauxhall ... mpfer.html

Now I do expect replacing the shocks like for like isn't going to improve anything, and a possible active scan option sounds terribly complicated and expensive, even though i came across a forum where a guy apparently managed it on a DS7.

So I was thinking. The C5 aircross has the PHC shocks and the ride in that car is generally very well liked. These have also come to the aftermarket now. https://kyb-europe.com/blog/double-hydr ... termarket/

These shocks are a reasonable price. I have looked and obviously the car profile is not like for like. One is a tall suv and the ds9 low and sleeker. Mine weighs 1540kg and the aircross 1400-1800kg ish.

What I want to know is could these KYB PHC shocks work on my DS9? What would be the potential barriers and downsides to them not working?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
DS9
Donor 2024

Re: Changing DS9 shocks.

Post by DS9 »

The front's seem to be £70+ a pop. 2 here for £153 https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/car-par ... 095-detail

The rears are a bit cheaper, around £60+ a pop. https://www.autodoc.co.uk/kyb/17873338

If possible I think i could maybe get 2 front's and 2 rears for £270ish, call it £300ish.

Anybody got an idea how much labour etc would be on top of this?

I have the car booked in tomorrow am for warranty repairs. I'll raise the issue with them.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm just not sure they will even fit. The vehicles have different part numbers for the shocks and may even be different specifications and fitment. The other issue is if you fit the incorrect shocks you'll have to declare it as a modification for insurance, as incorrect shocks may impact on vehicle stability. Bear in mind that ESP programmes and operation are designed with all the correct parts fitted and are tested as such... :wink:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

Thanks for your comments.

I had been aware of some of those potential issues but still dont have answers to them. I may not need them.

I took the car into the dealer last Friday for warranty repairs and raised the issue again. The DS rep asked if it was ok if the technician I saw about it last time could have an extended test drive in it, which essentially means him taking it home for a night or so and seeing how the car rides on a longer run. I'm hoping with this he starts to get a feel over what I have an issue with. I told the DS rep at the dealer I'm in no rush to get the car back.

I asked briefly about changing shocks and he said if there is an issue it may be a like for like replacement but sometimes if a problem has occurred somewhere else in the group and it's been solved then they adopt that solution. The glaring issue here is the DS9 is a very low volume car and only about 30 with non active suspension are in the UK.

That said I am starting to like the DS dealer more. They do appear conscientious and listen to my concern.

Overall there is an awful lot to like about the DS9, some reviews say the infotainment isn't great which I'd agree with but it doesnt bother me and the steering is apparently not that good but I have no problem with it.

In so many respects i'd rate the car 9/10 almost across the board. It's just the ride is more like 3/10 at the moment. If I could raise the standard of that to the rest I'd be verry content.
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

Forgot to say.

Prior to taking it into the dealer last friday I booked in at a local garage on Weds for them to cast an eye on it. All the suspension components are as they should be, no play in anything, etc.

The only things they did pick up on was a few plastic panels underneath that were a bit rattly, and the front drivers side plastic wheel surround was not affixed in the centre and as such was touching the shock.

I see these as minor imperfections, especially when I'm finding the suspension seems to definitely throw up more noise from the passenger side of the car.

I forgot to mention it to the DS rep but over Xmas I rode briefly in a 64 reg VW Jetta Taxi with 200k miles on the clock. I thought it rode better than my DS9 does at the moment.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks for the update.

Let us know the outcome of test drive, but the ride can be improved when under load. My SUV can be a bit harsh on our country lanes and poor roads, but as soon as I have a boot full of shopping things are far more supple on the way home!

Renting passengers is not ideal ( :-D ) , but thought it worth a mention next time you have a car load to see if you notice the difference.

Marc
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

Will do.

it's a good point you make about carrying weight which I was aware of already. The non phev DS9 is a light car comparatively for its size at 1,540kg vs the obvious germans. Most of our miles are under some kind of load as the car isnt a daily drive..... in fact it could sit there for 2-3wks and not move and is mainly used for longer trips to relatives, airports and the seaside with about 80kg worth of passengers and probably 40kg of luggage on average.

Under load I do think it is slightly better ride wise but still isnt where it should be. Back last July when i test drove the phev version where active damping is only activated in certain drive modes i never noticed the ride being poor, even without active in fact quite the opposite. So all things being equal I expect the PHEV in eco mode to ride similar to mine, but it doesn't. Might be to do with the phev weighing about 300kg more than mine.

Normally i'd be able to narrow it down but I can't do here. The closest relations to my car are the PHEV DS9 and the Peugeot 508. As stated, my experience is the former rides very well, and the latter which like mine hasn't got active scan also seems to ride very well according to car reviews I've seen, even with bigger wheels in the GT trim.

So is the general suspension setup based more on the heavier phev and my car is too light for the suspension, or on the lighter 508 and the suspension hasnt been beefed up..... I have no idea. Is the problem when they developed the DS9 did they put all the money into designing it as the PHEV and then modifying to the petrol was an afterthought....again i have no idea.

A guy on another forum has the same car as me and in the past owned jag XJ's and similar cars. He says the DS9 rides fine in his opinion.

God knows what the answer is here.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's true about the additional battery weight - and will make a huge difference, but there are different dampers based on:

4 wheel drive
ICE & Base Damping
ICE & Variable Damping
PHEV Train & Base Damping
PHEV Train & Variable Damping

Ditto with the front springs, 2 types for PHEV and ICE and another for 4 Wheel Drive.

So looks like they have accounted for the differences as far as parts go.

Marc