Damaged Thread

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

Damaged Thread

Post by oscarloco »

I was changing brake pads on my ZX when I discovered that one of the lug nuts of the right rear tyre has the thread damaged. I replaced it and found out that also the hole in the rear hub has a damaged thread. WIth the help of hand taps, I repaired the thread but apparently it's to damaged because it failed again.
I assume that the damage appeared when I took the tyre to repair a flat and they used an air wrench to tighten the lug nuts.
When I repaired the thread, I used a conventional lug wrench so they weren't overtightened.
What can I do? Is it possible to repair the hole? Is in neccesary to replace any part besides the lug?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Your best bet is to visit a breakers yard and obtain a secondhand hub, from experience many so called mechanics go insane once they get their hands on an air wrench.
Stewart
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Yeah, I've seen them, they just turn the torque adjustment all the way up and start tightening the screws like there was no tomorrow.
Now, somebody sugested me that maybe the holes where inserts in the hub and maybe those could be exchanged. Do you know something abou that?
Anyway, thanks.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I had two (out of four) studs shear off a day after having some new tyres at Twit-Fit on an old Triumph Dolomite; the other two studs had become extremely loose (stretched) and all 4 splines in the hub were stripped. Got 4 new studs overnight from a good supplier, but had to weld them onto the hub to stop them turning!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I don't know if you have this product out your way but you can try whats known as a 'HELICOIL'.
Basicaly it looks like a spring but it is in fact another thread. First you drill out the damaged thread with the drill supplied then you tap the new hole with the tap supplied and then you screw in the new thread using the special tool supplied. Once in tight you bang the small end location spiggot off the thread and that's the job done. Original size thread back in the same hole. Never had any trouble with them in over 20 years of engineering. Try a web serch for 'HELICOIL' it's a brand name but there are loads of copies about at cheape prices.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

OK, Thanks for the help guys.