Activa Weirdness

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Darkened

Activa Weirdness

Post by Darkened »

Hi Folks, my first post and its for help needed.
I've a 98 Activa and there are 2 wee issues with it.
1) when sitting on normal ride height the left side is lower than the right. Any clues as to why this should be?
2) the anti-roll system only seems to be working at the momwnt while going left, if you corner to the right it rolls quite a bit. Not as bad as my TD vsx Xantia but still badly.
No idea on whats up as really not clued up on it that much, just had 2 front sphere's replaced. ( had to be replaced with hydroactive sphere's, only 5 bar difference i believe, also rear height corrector freed and drop link replaced on front steering )
So any tips or is it a drip to citroen for a go on their diagnostics machines
Cheers
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Okay first thing is to admit I have no experience of the Activa, but I remeber a conversation with a mechanic who mentioned he frequently worked on lop-sided Activas so if this makes any sense:
It's possible that one of the rams is partially seized and a possible cure is simply to clean with WD40 the anchor point/bar. Apparently it should slide with light finger pressure.
Be careful under the car, have some axle stands suitably positioned so the car can not drop suddenly onto you.
Mark
h3rjp

Post by h3rjp »

Mine was like that when I first test drove (it also had a rear clonk), i think the garage replaced one of the hydratic rams (or whatever it uses), which seem to cure it.
Once the engine is off though, it sits in all odd positions, but our last one did that aswell.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think the lower one side is caused by wear in the front anti-roll ram, which causes internal leakage and upsets the car's ability to keep itself level. This is also probably why it feels like you are not getting the anti roll going one way as the front ram is pushing up and not working as well as it should hence not as much levelling as you should get. I think the ram is dealer only and, er, not all that cheap....
Darkened

Post by Darkened »

thanks for the replies. i'm on my 6th Citroen now and have been really impressed with this forum when i found it. Very helpful people.
Makes sense. Shame all Activa stuff is so dear.
Booked in main dealer for monday now so i'd better sell a kidney
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

I am on my 1st Citroen and am I not only impressed but without you guys here I would have been easy pickings for the mechanics here.
thanks guys.
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Try selling the kidney on eBay, but be careful 'cos someone tried that before and got caught.
:oD
James
ajhopper
My Cars:

Post by ajhopper »

Hi you may find that the self leveling bushes are worn out (on lower arm, 10mm rods)
Also it sounds like the corrector in the center of these rods is siezed or stiff.(it will hold the car at an angle)
The koncking from the back is due to the rear ram O/S/R lower bush has play in it.
[8D]Citroen consultant tech for the last 12 years.
Darkened

Post by Darkened »

so all main dealer stuff then? or can i sort myself in any way?
thanks though
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

I've got the knocking from the back you reckon is the rear ram bush. Sounds very like rear ram knocks I had fixed years ago by dealer. What's the best approach for diy?