help needed choosing a scan tool

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Philip Radford

help needed choosing a scan tool

Post by Philip Radford »

hi we have a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 Diesel
2015 automatic Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 Diesel.
vin number VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

I'm having problems finding a scan tool that will let me program the ECU with new parts fitted to the car, i.e. injectors, airbags and so on.

This is what i need from such a scan tool.

1: will it allow me to program/tell the vehicle system the Fap Fluid as been has been added, (not AdBlue).
2: Will it allow me to program/tell the vehicle system that a new DFP has been fitted?
3: Will it allow me to program/tell the vehicle system that a new DFP pump has been fitted?
4: Will it allow me to program/tell the vehicle system that new parts have been fitted in general?
5: Can I retract the rear callipers to change the brake pads using the iCarsoft FR V3.0 or FR V2.0 or CR PRO Advanced?

Could you please help?
thanks

sorry I don't think I've been clear enough on this. whatever unity it is must be able to program not just clear codes clearing codes will not work when parts or you've changed. ie new DPF fitted or fat pump and so on.
Last edited by Philip Radford on 05 Jan 2024, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
A spanner a day helps you work rest and bruise your knuckles :rofl2:
wheeler

Re: help needed choosing a scan tool

Post by wheeler »

I suppose the 1st questions are-
What's your budget?
Will you be looking at using it on other car brands or just PSA?
danlat1415
Donor 2024

Post by danlat1415 »

Autel AP200 maybe useful.
Costs about £40 and uses your phone screen rather than dedicated Autel screen
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Lexia is your best bet given your requirements, given it's a 2015 you will need a full chipset and a laptop to run it on with win 7.
Darren
tricoloured

Post by tricoloured »

Hi

After my full chip Lexia clone suddenly stopped working end of 2022 I bought a Foxwell NT510 Elite with the Peugeot / Citroen software, so far it has done everything that I used my Diagbox setup for including everything in your list, seems to communicate with all the ECU's including the auto box for resetting the oil counter etc.

I've mainly been using it on my 2018 2.0Hdi auto Expert van so I can't say for sure for other vehicles, cost about £115 with the software and updates for life, so much more conveinient than the diagbox setup and you can add other manufacturers too.
I'm sure there will be some things it can't do that diagbox does do but I'm pleased with it so far.
Just noticed you mentioned airbags, I've not yet gone into those menus so can't be sure.

I think the Foxwell NT530 and NT710 run the same software, the NT710 has got a large touch screen which in hindsight I aught to have bought instead.
The only gripe I've got is that the NT510 Elite doesn't automatically add time/date when you save results and you also have to remove the SD card and put it into a Windows PC to update etc , I think the NT710 connects to WiFi to make things easier so I may upgrade in the future.

I bought mine from the well known auction site but I think Gendan UK are a safer bet for ongoing etc.

Regards

Bobby
Last edited by tricoloured on 05 Jan 2024, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
mjefmjef

Post by mjefmjef »

I’ve literally just been told that PSA have introduced a new interface so Lexia is now replaced, but cannot find any other information.

Anyone know what’s now the go to self diagnosing solution??

Mike
Philip Radford

Post by Philip Radford »

danlat1415 wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 22:34 Autel AP200 maybe useful.
Costs about £40 and uses your phone screen rather than dedicated Autel screen
Hi thanks for getting back to me.
i've looked at that one now, but it wont do programming do wont suffice for my car's needs.
Philip Radford

Post by Philip Radford »

mjefmjef wrote: 05 Jan 2024, 15:03 I’ve literally just been told that PSA have introduced a new interface so Lexia is now replaced, but cannot find any other information.

Anyone know what’s now the go to self diagnosing solution??

Mike
thanks for your reply,
i emailed Foxwell and they say they don't currently any tools that would do the above.

i need to tell the cars computer i've fitted a ned DBP so it will need to program.
Foxwell don't produce any products that will program.
Philip Radford

Post by Philip Radford »

tricoloured wrote: 05 Jan 2024, 00:02 Hi

After my full chip Lexia clone suddenly stopped working end of 2022 I bought a Foxwell NT510 Elite with the Peugeot / Citroen software, so far it has done everything that I used my Diagbox setup for including everything in your list, seems to communicate with all the ECU's including the auto box for resetting the oil counter etc.

I've mainly been using it on my 2018 2.0Hdi auto Expert van so I can't say for sure for other vehicles, cost about £115 with the software and updates for life, so much more conveinient than the diagbox setup and you can add other manufacturers too.
I'm sure there will be some things it can't do that diagbox does do but I'm pleased with it so far.
Just noticed you mentioned airbags, I've not yet gone into those menus so can't be sure.

I think the Foxwell NT530 and NT710 run the same software, the NT710 has got a large touch screen which in hindsight I aught to have bought instead.
The only gripe I've got is that the NT510 Elite doesn't automatically add time/date when you save results and you also have to remove the SD card and put it into a Windows PC to update etc , I think the NT710 connects to WiFi to make things easier so I may upgrade in the future.

I bought mine from the well known auction site but I think Gendan UK are a safer bet for ongoing etc.

Regards

Bobby
sorry the Foxwell NT510 cannot reprogram, I've chatted and emailed Foxwell, they currently don't have any products that can do the above, i.e. tell the vehicle that I fitted new parts.
Philip Radford

Post by Philip Radford »

wheeler wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 13:01 I suppose the 1st questions are-
What's your budget?
Will you be looking at using it on other car brands or just PSA?
i don't wont to spend a lot, I'm not interested in using it on other cars just the one above.
thanks cars off road now. i just need to tell the car its had a new DPF and a new Fap pump.
tricoloured

Post by tricoloured »

Philip Radford wrote: 05 Jan 2024, 20:53
tricoloured wrote: 05 Jan 2024, 00:02 Hi

Regards

Bobby
sorry the Foxwell NT510 cannot reprogram, I've chatted and emailed Foxwell, they currently don't have any products that can do the above, i.e. tell the vehicle that I fitted new parts.
Hi

I have used the NT510 Elite successfully to tell the ECU it has had a new DPF fitted after it was cleaned, and sensors, was also able to force a regen of the DPF.
Tested and primed the Eolys tank and also told it that it had a new tank fitted after a bogus fault with the tank.
Successfully coded a new set of injectors, can't remember if I had to do anything with the other new fuel components fitted such as pump, rail, sensors etc.
I have accessed the "Pack Repair" menus for many componants, I have also been able to test many actuators and components.

Like I said before this was mostly on my 2018 2.0 Expert van, maybe not the case with your vehicle.

I originally bought it to use until I could fix my Lexia/Diagbox setup but it has done everything I have needed so far.

Bobby
Harrythephot

Post by Harrythephot »

2016 Partner BlueHDi 1.6
I've recently replaced the Adblue tank, bought a Lexia, but had to pay a garage anyway.
Then the Nox sensor died, giving me the countdown of doom.
When I recently went to clear the countdown, my Lexia isn't speaking to the car any more........
Ebay company is not responding to messages or emails.......
So I fitted a new Nox sensor - Neo Brothers - Ebay £203 - and had the local garage clear the countdown and tell it I had a new Nox sensor.
I was also told that my Eolys pump is dead.
Yay!
Damn emissions system.

Anyway, all this has had me looking for a reliable scantool that is affordable and will code, reset and clear faults on PSA cars.

The ones that stand out are
Xtool A30M -
Thinkdiag 2 - maybe same as Kingbolen Ediag plus
Foxwell NT530 or NT710
Mucar CDE900 Pro.

I've only just asked them if each of them can do what I need, but I've had no confirmation from them yet on their capabilities.

The Mucar would appear to be the one, as it claims to be bidirectional, do coding, resets and work on Adblue, Nox and Eolys.

It is available for £99 and you then pay a fee for a lifetime update at various price points.
The all cars, all resets, all system, lifetime comes in at $99, so if they can confirm it will do the job, that seems to be the one.

Unless anyone knows how to repair or fault find Lexia units.

I'll let you know
Harrythephot

Post by Harrythephot »

Philip.
After my Lexia clone failed me, I bought the Topdon Artidiag800BT, which does do all of the above requirements on my Peugeot Partner, with the possible exception of brake calipers, as I've not done that on my car.
The Mucar I had considered is out, because immediately after ordering it, I saw that the package included was less that what was advertised on the Mucar website and that for all cars, all systems and all resets, would be more expensive than buying the Topdon.
The manufacturers are not very good at confirming what their products can do and will default to "no it can't", when in reality, it probably will.
Philip Radford

Post by Philip Radford »

Hi all, its me again with this Citroën C4 Picasso (all the details of the vehicle are above) I ended up purchasing an "AUTEL AP200"
when first used months ago, it read all the systems, everything sent to work as it should correctly on the vehicle.
Good for diagnostics but not much use for reprogramming, I knew this before purchase, it gave me the information needed to repair the vehicle.

Now today the car as come up with a new problem (UREA ON DASH)
plug in the "AUTEL AP200" diagnostic tool complete setup as before including the exact same software and tablet, good internet connection, good Bluetooth connection, communication between tablet and the ap200, good.

on the first diagnostic page, almost all categories in the lists have a '?' In them, most definitely not like before.

Here's how it goes,

Built-in system interface (BSI -!- ).

So I click on that and that starts loading system data.

Comes up with this first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The contents of the 'parameter measurement ',' actuator tests' and 'configuration' minus are not fixed and are adapted to the diagnostic version of the BSI software on which diagnostics are being performed. It is therefore normal that the content of this menus can vary from one vehicle to another vehicle.

press ok to continue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I press OK.

This brings up another menu and on that menu is ECU information.

I press OK.

the response is: The selected function is not supported.

Any help would be appreciated
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I can't find the details of your Picasso above but assuming it's the 2010 model in your profile then this won't use urea as it's petrol. Even if it were diesel I would have thought it was too early to use urea.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​