P20E8 code cost if its AdBlue Tank failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

umut
Donor 2023

P20E8 code cost if its AdBlue Tank failure

Post by umut »

Hello!!!!! & Happy New Year to ALL

I came here to ask a simple question about Coolant replacement. But now just before we are heading to holiday i got the dashboard message saying i have only 700 Miles left!!!

i got it before couple of times and it disappeared itself 2 or 3 times! Now again i have left 650 Miles left so it looks persistent !

Here is A summary WHAT's been going on!

I had an error code about NOx Sensor and after that DPF filter error! after that Car gone into LIMP MODE! cant remember the codes now sorry!, and i was having smoke filled inside! after checking under the car, i found a hole exhaust pipe right after AdBlue injector next to flexi exhaust pipe clamp and severe crystallisation around that hole and on car undertray.

I have Changed the AdBlue Injector from cheap eBay alternative as there was an error code stating Injector Stuck Open. After that i tried to filled the hole with a putty from Holts but due to its location i've had use worm clamp to secure the putty managed to stop leak and all codes erased after a while.. just checked today still a bit of exhaust fume starting escaping with no sign of AdBlue crystallisation.

Now i have the same code P20E8 Reductant pressure Low, i use basic car scanner app! and it seems to be staying.

my VIN is before i forget is: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

My only main concern is, before getting car repaired is to fulfil the 4 years Olds dream for holiday! So is 650 Miles left, count down is accurate 1mile to 1mile?

Second is if AdBlue tank/pump is failing how much is to replace from the dealer. ? is that £1500-£2000 really?

Thank you in Advance for anyone's help!

Umut
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: P20E8 code cost if its AdBlue Tank failure

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are 2 possible types of UREA tanks that could be fitted, so you need to know which one you have fitted. The cost of these is the same, but they are totally different shapes.

They each cost the same (£1,056.11) including VAT but excludes labour and diagnostics to code / prime.
Urea type a.PNG
Urea Type b.PNG
The countdown is accurate as it is a digital countdown, so as it stands, you will not be able to restart the vehicle when it reaches zero.

Your fault code relates to low pressure in the adblue system, possibly as a result of the hole in the exhaust. However, it's possible the Adblue level is too low - when did you last top up the adblue tank?

I suggest you follow the guidelines in your owner manual closely for topping up the system, but once the warning is on, it is essential to add at least 3.8 litres of AdBlue to the tank. Then wait at least 5 minutes before switching on the ignition!

After this time, check to see if the warning goes back to the standard 'starting prevented in 1500 miles'. If not, I would not be risking taking the vehicle on holiday to be honest - especially if you still have power loss as a result of the engine ECU going into limp / backup mode.

The DPF issues will be separate, but that can also trigger limp mode if the filter is blocked.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
umut
Donor 2023

Post by umut »

HI Marc,

Thank you so much for the info.

The Fault Code disappeared next morning after i post. Next day It appeared Again after a long drive 30min Without Countdown. (i mainly drive very short journeys 5-10 minutes everyday). Yesterday it disappeared again. In the mean time I have added Wynns AdBlue Additive.

Touch wood since than Fault code is not present. But the Big Test will be tomorrow after 200 Miles Journey.

I have Checked the AdBlue Injector it looks like new Which i replaced it Back in June.

My AdBlue Tank is full every couple of months i top-up.
Limp mode was a back issue when UREA was pouring down from Hole which occurred right after AdBlue injector next to Neck where the Clamp is.

not the great images sorry.

If happens again probably i will get it to dealer to run diagnostics close to me whom are the worst!!! (long story) even yesterday i asked for a quote for replacing AdBlue Tank. I got a reply we don't give quotes, without running diagnostics!!! after i insist if its a Tank how much would be & someone behind that lady shouted £1500 including VAT.

I have a couple questions:
  • Is there an Exploded Diagram for the Catalytic Converter or part number i posted above, I am try to understand if its hard to remove & if i can weld around the Neck with Mig Welder. As there are smaller holes on top too
  • Size or part number for the Clamp.
Thanks in Advance
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so here is the diagram with the parts that I have indicated:
umut cat.PNG
(10) Catalytic Converter, part: 9823467180, £1094.90
(15) Exhaust System Fixing Clamp, part: 171366, £11.36

(16) Exhaust Front Pipe
OEM Original, part: 9810706580, £348.11