Xantia heaving steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jvwykes

Xantia heaving steering

Post by jvwykes »

Hello Folks

My Xantia passed its MOT after a little rear sill welding. Another year of classic Citroen motoring ahead and another recommendation for Dipetane fuel additive

It has however started to occasionally start to go into heavy steering mode. Sometimes tight turning left, sometimes turning right. Very un nerving when travelling a speed though.

I don't think its the steering shaft UJ because its a random fault. When they dry up they also start to get noisy.

Today I checked all the pipes from the reservoir to pump etc and nothing looks amiss. No splits on hoses, all clamps tight, nothing looks wet around the steering pinion. I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this random occurrence. It does this when the engine is fully up to temperature.

One thing I did notice was when dropping the height to low setting, the LHM tank fluid turns aerated with micro bubbles. Move it back to normal or high and they stop forming and dissipate

If anyone has any advice please let me know.

regards

James
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Xantia heaving steering

Post by CitroJim »

James, There's several potential causes depending on age and model...

Grateful to know precisely the model of Xantia you have, especially relevant if it's a V6 or an early 'Sinker'...

Congrats on the MoT and what's Dipetane?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jvwykes

Post by jvwykes »

Hello Jim

Its a 1999 Hdi sx

Dipetane https://dipetane.com/
I can't recommend it enough. Its not just for diesel cars either. Since using it, my Xantia has never failed an emission's test. I don't use supermarket fuel. Some may think its snake oil but the results have proven its worth to me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for the info on Dipetane link James :)

As to the heavy steering and bubbles, I'd be initially looking at air being drawn into the suction side of the hydraulic pump, especially as you have noted it being a bit frothy at times of heavy demand.

Check the LHM feed pipe to the pump from the LHM reservoir onward and look for deterioration/perishing. As it's under suction it's unlikely to leak fluid. A favourite place for it to go is at the pump end where the rubber end goes over the pump inlet spigot. I've known them split under the clip. Very sneaky as you need to remove the clip to see it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jvwykes

Post by jvwykes »

I'll trim the pipe ends and reconnect to see if there is a slight leak path from tired connections

Also found there is a removable plug on the reservoir plastic manifold. There is an o ring that could be another leak path for air as its on the tank to pump fluid feed

viewtopic.php?p=696379
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

jvwykes wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 20:44 Also found there is a removable plug on the reservoir plastic manifold. There is an o ring that could be another leak path for air as its on the tank to pump fluid feed
Yes, very possibly James... You know, in all my years and vast Xantia experience, I never even realised it existed... Either hiding in plain sight from me or just on very late ones..

Hope the problem is soon resolved [-o<
Jim

jvwykes

Post by jvwykes »

Its been a little delay in my update on this issue, but reseating of the reservoir to pump hose has done the trick. Now driven for over a week and its behaving itself once more

Thanks for your help Jim
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news, superb :D
Jim