Risk of particle filter clogging - 2nd additive tank replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hofhomer

Risk of particle filter clogging - 2nd additive tank replacement

Post by hofhomer »

Good evening all, I've had a 2nd additive tank installed under warranty on my 2012 berlingo van. It was fine the first refill but the 2nd time I added diesel the warnings back. I've checked the diagnostics and the ECU as flagged up the code again for the tank. Run diagbox and done replacement parts under additive tank and ecu and deleted the codes from both sections and the warning triangles gone for now.

Does any body think because its not an orginal part it's causing my problems?

After doing the replacement parts on diagbox you can clearly hear the pump ticking/priming. The tank quantity its showing 980ml which as reduced slowly since purchase. The cinder count on the DPF is 50% and regenerations are taking place on average every 300-400 miles. The back pressure on idle reads 000-001 and under throttle 006-007.

I'm running out of ideas, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Risk of particle filter clogging - 2nd additive tank replacement

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You didn't specify the codes you were getting. Pop these up with the VIN if you want some pointers. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
hofhomer

Post by hofhomer »

Sorry for the delay in a response I've been away on holiday. The VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Error codes on engine ecu P1434, P1435

Additive pump error code FEB4

Like I said previously this is the second tank the garage as installed. I did try the following diagbox versions

V7.62 on additive pump says ecu not recognised.

V9.68 Fantomel free version. Sees the additive ecu, but when trying to program the new pump it says ecucmm error then when you go back to the global scan it says communication error on the engine ecu until you perform a new global scan.

When you prime the pipes in the engine ecu, you can hear the additive tank ticking away.

I'm starting to think maybe a fuse causing a communication error or the ecu for the additive tank needs resetting/replacing.

What location and fuses should i inspect? Also is the ecu for the additive tank behind the glove box? And how do you reset such device?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Both these faults are to do with the multiplexed additive pump pump fault. Make sure when the tank was replaced that the guidance for adding fuel is observed:
Fault Code: P1434
Description of Fault: Multiplexed additive pump: Pump fault. Multiplexed additive pump fault detected for 27 second.
Conditions for Fault to clear: The following conditions have to be met:
- Addition of 10 litres of fuel
- Driving with the engine hot for 5 minutes
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Deactivation of the additive pump
    "SERVICE" warning lamp
Symptoms:
  • Absence of automatic stopping of the internal combustion engine (Vehicle equipped with "stop and start")
Suspect Areas:
  • Soft pouch/Particle filter additive reservoir
  • Additive pump TI
  • Additive pump MGI

Fault Code: P1435
Description of Fault: Multiplexed additive pump: CAN network fault or pump fault.
Possibility 1
Multiplexed additive pump fault detected for 27 second
Possibility 2
Fault in communication between the built-in systems interface and the additive pump detected for 27 second
Conditions for Fault to clear: The following conditions have to be met:
- Addition of 10 litres of fuel
- Driving with the engine hot for 5 minutes
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Deactivation of the additive pump
  • "SERVICE" warning lamp
Symptoms: -
Suspect Areas:
  • Soft pouch/Particle filter additive reservoir
  • Additive pump TI
  • Additive pump MGI

If the guidance was followed, then you may have a problem with the actual electrical connector or connections from the additive pump going back. We've seen similar issue reported here with the same codes and it turned out it was an electrical connection corroded or compromised from the pump assembly connections back to the connectors, so I would be checking these out including the pins.

Marc
hofhomer

Post by hofhomer »

Thank you I've heard these are subject to corrosion. I'll inspect and report back. Just need a dry day to get under the van. So it's not a software issue? Also your not thinking a fuse or the ecu for the additive pump?
hofhomer

Post by hofhomer »

Also if those conditions were not met, as the garage did the installation of the 2nd tank what would be the outcome? Then how to resolve?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is no separate fuse as the additive pump is controlled by the injection ECU (Engine Management ECU) neither can it be software as that would affect the whole engine management system and would not of changed all of a sudden.

It's likely to be the communication network between the pump and the Engine management system, and from several other cases here, as I mentioned it was a wiring / connector issue as these can become exposed to the elements being so close to the road surface, so muck and water can get in and start causing issues over time.

Marc
hofhomer

Post by hofhomer »

Thank you kindly for advising. I'm going to check the cable and spray some contact cleaner into the plug. Hopefully that resolves the comms issue. Can you purchase replacement plugs? Just incase pins are bent etc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Jimmy PO'Reilly (see O'Reilly 's autos on YouTube) looked at an almost identical case last week. Didn't get to the bottom of it mind you...just set the additive tank to absent in the BSI to put the light out (pending getting Pug to look at it maybe). Long term not having the additive would not be good. Might be the BSI at fault?
Richard W
hofhomer

Post by hofhomer »

I've watched the video this morning, he's got no comms error just probably needs to be connected to the psa server been a newer plate. Maybe I'll just get it removed, from the comments in the video it's only required to keep the emissions down. I could always droplet some in after refuelling.