Citroen DS3 ASR/esp fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Headache1986

Citroen DS3 ASR/esp fault

Post by Headache1986 »

I have a 2013 ds3 thp cabrio, the power steering only works after a little run or if the outside temp is above 13c. It went to a garage and they fitted a new steering rack, this didn’t fix the issue. It’s had a new battery and this also hasn’t fixed the issue. Not sure if this is even relevant, but now the heating fans are no longer working.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen DS3 ASR/esp fault

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi

The rack may have been replaced because the electric power steering is fitted to the rack on these and they just assumed it was the complete ECU ' power steering unit. However the problems can also be caused by the electrical supply or connectors to the PS unit. As these are electrically operated direct from the battery, any supply problem can cause operational issues. As you've also had a new battery, it's reasonable to assume there may be a supply issue to the PS unit, so I think you need to check the electrical connectors and the pins on the connectors to make sure they are clean and that no pins or wires are loose and that there is not corrosion / water in the connectors as a first step.

Then get a diagnostic ran to see if there are any fault codes that can offer some pointers. If there are any fault codes, pop them up here with your VIN and I'll take a look.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Headache1986

Post by Headache1986 »

Thank you, the fault codes are 0047, 04D4, U1121, U1321

Vin VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Apart from the above, your vehicle has a long outstanding after-sales campaign overdue since 2017. I suggest you call the dealership and have it dealt with, which will be a free of charge repair.
Ref: GAV - Engine software/Water pump

Downloading the latest version of the engine control unit software, and replacing the turbocharger cooling electric water pump if necessary.
The main fault codes are as below, the others are internal codes that don't have a descriptor.
Fault Code: U1121
Description of Fault: Fault no communication with the electric power steering ECU. No signal. Information from the power steering ECU absent for more than 500 ms.
Conditions for Fault to clear:
  • After switching the ignition off and then back on
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Cutting of all ESP operations
  • Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning message: Warning lamp ESP
Symptoms:
  • Illumination of the ESP indicator light
Suspect Areas:
  • Supply of electric power steering
  • CAN network
  • Electric power steering ECU

Fault Code: U1321
Description of Fault: Electric power steering operating fault. Reception of invalid information. Information from the power steering ECU absent for more than 500 ms.
Conditions for Fault to clear:
  • After switching the ignition off and then back on
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Cutting of all ESP operations.
  • Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning message: Warning lamp ESP
Symptoms:
  • The indicator light ESP comes on
Suspect Areas:
  • Supply of electric power steering
  • CAN network
  • Electric power steering ECU
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help