aircon

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cycaduk
My Cars:

aircon

Post by cycaduk »

Hi, my Citroen Xantia TD SX 1997 has just let me down. No heater fan. Ive checked the wires and the heavy guage red and black show nothing. would some kind soul know where |I can download a wiring diagram, and also locations for the relays etc. Prior to the fan failing, there was an intermittant problem with the airconditioning, sometimes it would cool, sometimes it wouldnt.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Double check the Heated rear window works, if not, it could be the ignition switch.Also could be the rheostat on the motor itself. Just another thought has it been leaking water into the NSF footwell at anytime? Its common for the scuttle panel to be split and water to enter the heater motor that way. Good luck
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Hi Dennis,
Haynes manual does not have wiring diagram for the system fitted to models with aircon.
This is just a guess but I'd imagine that Citroen would have used the same ignition switch for all variants, therefore (and I'm STILL guessing!) the heavy gauge wires at the fan would be fed through the ignition switch and on to fuse F20 before going to the fan exactly like the non-aircon version. Also, there's nothing to suggest a relay is involved.
The heated rear window has a separate fuse, but shares the same contacts in the switch. Hence some people have done a DIY modification and fitted a relay to overcome this problem with a worn ignition switch.
HTH
Andy
cycaduk
My Cars:

Post by cycaduk »

Thanks guys, I also did a search on the rest of this section. A couple of quessies. No volts at fuse 20; I assume this is due to the dodgy contacts on the ignition switch. When i run a jumper lead to the oulet side of fuse 20, the fan works, but is this OK?
I still dont have a fully working aircon though. sometimes it works sometimes not. Does anyone know where the ECU for the aircon is?
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">When i run a jumper lead to the oulet side of fuse 20, the fan works, but is this OK?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
OK as a temporary workaround provided it is fused and rated adequately.
Either fix the switch, or fit a relay to do the job instead, I haven't done this mod but would imagine the easiest place to fit the relay would be close to the ign switch.
Can you elaborate about the aircon - does the compressor clutch activate? Do you see anything in the viewer window on the dryer bottle? Do the radiator fans come on?
Andy
cycaduk
My Cars:

Post by cycaduk »

Thanks Andy,
Ignition switch now replaced, fan works just fine. Aircon doesnt. But If, from not working, i disconnect battery for five minutes or so, then it does work (air gets really cold, see bubbles in the dryer viewing hole etc. Then, switch car off, or aircon switch off etc. Next time I want to use it it doesn't work. ie none of the above effects.
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Glad you got the switch sorted[:D]
Not sure I can help with the a/c problem though, hopefully someone with more experience on this topic might be able to shed some light etc.
Good luck
Andy
cycaduk
My Cars:

Post by cycaduk »

anyone have any idea where the bitron relay is hidden?