Citroen c4 Grand Picasso electrical fault. BPGA or Alternator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
martina_sk

Citroen c4 Grand Picasso electrical fault. BPGA or Alternator

Unread post by martina_sk »

Hello,

First time writing here but I’m looking for advice.
Bought a c4 grand picasso a year ago (reg 2015)
An amber light saying Electrical Circuit Fault: Have the vehicle repaired started coming up few months ago. Citroen diagnosed BPGA unit needs replacement. “Electrical supply system failure”.

Few times the battery has died on me if I didn’t drive it for 1 or 2 days.
The garage near me Told me to change the battery. Long story short changed the battery and the car died again. It took two days and all types of warning lights started coming on. During driving the car broke down and had 0 battery in it. RAC managed to get the car back but said the alternator needs replacement. Checked and the alternator prices are insane so my question is:
Is it really the alternator or the ECU/BPGA Needs replacement? I am considering fixing the BPGA unit before getting a new alternator because I read that most times its not the alternator’s fault.

Has anyone experienced this and can anyone advise what would be the best course of action in this case. I am hoping once the new proper unit is installed the car will operate fine.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 07 Dec 2023, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Citroen Forum
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen c4 Grand Picasso electrical fault. BPGA or Alternator

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

The BGPA unit is the supplies protection unit. When these fail they can cause electrical issues as they supply everything else with the power.

The alternator can be ruled out by testing.

Warning! Be very careful to keep a record / photos of the connections to the correct fuses on the existing unit when replacing this!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
dt13kym

Unread post by dt13kym »

Hi, we're having the same issue and it seems reading through he comments that it will be the BPGA unit. Are these just plug and play for a 2015 exclusive +
Have a mechanic that will fit it if no programming required.
David
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

David - The BGPA unit (Supplies Protection / Management Unit) doesn't require programming, but the engine fuse boxes on these do, but essential that all the existing fuse connections are photographed / positions / locations recorded prior to removal as the connections can differ from vehicle to vehicle depending on the fitted equipment and options for each vehicle, so there is no standard reconnection help if you don't get these right!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
dt13kym

Unread post by dt13kym »

Thanks, will pass the info onto him. Any idea best place to purchase one?
On another note, have you ever heard of the warning check indicator direction when someone indicates to turn right? Only does it the 1st time in each journey then is fine? Plus the orange service light stays on all the time now, not sure if this will be related to one of these 2 issues.

David