Faulty Fuel filter symptoms advice please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jock357

Faulty Fuel filter symptoms advice please

Post by Jock357 »

Hi,

Firstly as a Newbie I'd like to say Hello to you all.

My question is regarding my 2014 2.0lt HDI Diesel Dispatch.

It has been Sub Zero C temps here in Scotland for over a week and few days ago I noticed the engine had a rather Jerky Idle but the car ran fine, however today after a night torrential rain and having driven through some deepish puddles followed by a 250 mile drive in Freezing conditions the engine started to make an odd metallic rattle, the sort of rattle you get at stalling point.

There have been no engine managment lights appeared on dashboard.

I'd Switch the engine off, restart it and it would run and sound fine for around 10 seconds then start rattling to stalling point once more, It repeated this several times, I then left the car for 10 minutes then it started then run fine and never made the rattling stalling sound afterwards.

Could this be a symptom of a Frozen diesel filter or a Filter with moisture in it? To my surprise on checking the last two services its never had a Diesel fuel filter change so im guessing the current filter or filters must have done around 30'000 miles at least.

I'm frightened to use the vehicle in case it happens again, your advice and diagnosis would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Faulty Fuel filter symptoms advice please

Post by CitroJim »

Unlikely as diesel fuel is winterised to prevent it freezing Jock and given the filter is in quite a warm place, when the engine is running, there should be no problem however cold it gets. All diesel has a small amount of water in it and I believe if there's an excess in the filter you'll be informed as it may raise a fault indication.

Don't be frightened to run it. Hopefully now it's a little less inclement all will now be good. If not, I'd suggest, as a first step, a diagnostic session to see if any faults have been logged.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Post by Sloppysod »

Hi Jock, living where you do, it maybe worth you trying to get hold of a cold weather sheild for the front of your Despatch, or just cover the lower part of the grille with polyethylene /Tin foil like your folks used to do. (item 27 I think). My Citroën handbook recommends fitting these when ambiant temperature is below 10°
the idea, is to keep the cold air away from the bottom of the radiator, helping to keep your engine it's temperature up.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231207_093052_Firefox.jpg
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

CitroJim wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 06:09 Unlikely as diesel fuel is winterised to prevent it freezing Jock and given the filter is in quite a warm place
You would be surprised how much of an issue this actually is when it gets really cold, Especially up here in Scotland. Usual symptoms though are idling ok but when you put the engine under any load it cuts out or starts hesitating. Normally accompanied by various fuel pressure related fault codes. If the filter is old it cant pass enough fuel through fast enough i when it is thicker & less viscous. Replacing the fuel filter normally cures the issue for the time being.
A few years back it was a really common problem on Hyundai & Kia diesel models in really cold weather (doesn't even need to be below 0) until they started fitting electric heaters to the fuel filter housings. I believe they were even retrofitting them as part of a TSB if it was affecting the car.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh! I am surprised Wheeler! Thanks for that :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Just light a fire under the car as Scandinavian, Russian and Canadian lorry drivers used to do, and maybe still do.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 13:44 Just light a fire under the car as Scandinavian, Russian and Canadian lorry drivers used to do, and maybe still do.
Plastic fuel tanks Steve ;)
Jim

Jock357

Post by Jock357 »

Sloppysod wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 10:39 Hi Jock, living where you do, it maybe worth you trying to get hold of a cold weather sheild for the front of your Despatch, or just cover the lower part of the grille with polyethylene /Tin foil like your folks used to do. (item 27 I think). My Citroën handbook recommends fitting these when ambiant temperature is below 10°
the idea, is to keep the cold air away from the bottom of the radiator, helping to keep your engine it's temperature up.
Hi Sloppy.

Thanks for that suggestion about fitting a cold weather shield, it rather makes sense as to how the problem arose in the biting morning freezing fog and why the car ran fine when the mechanic gave it test run later in the day when the weather went above freezing.

I had noticed in past cold spells just how reluctant the cars temp guage would warm up and the heater before reaching a comfortable level....so it does make sense to reduce the airflow through the lower grill, a matter made much worse I guess because of me driving through the deep near frozen puddles the day prior to the problem.

Anyhoos, the Garage looked the car over and could see no other obvious issues other than a rather grubby and well soiled fuel filter element which we reckon to have done over 35k since last change and which they replaced for me with a genuine citroen one.....cars now running like a sweety again and with no lumpy idling nor near stall rattles.

what would you reccomend mileage wise before I change the filter again during these exceptionally cold winter days?

Cheers and thank to you all for your replies.

Jock.