BPGA/Battery help please C4 Grand

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Yvonnepage

BPGA/Battery help please C4 Grand

Post by Yvonnepage »

Hi everyone

Please bear with me, I don't drive, don't know anything about cars (took me ages to register on the site because I couldn't accurately sort any of the things 😭) but my husband has an issue with his car we are in dire need of help with.

Long story long. Our C4 Grand Picasso (2015) needed a replacement battery. Not unusual given its age my husband said (he works in power so knows batteries etc). So we had halfords come and replace it. Mistake number one 😭. After they replaced it we noticed the alarm goes off. Every single time the car is locked. It's very annoying. But that wasn't the only issue. On closer inspection they had left a "box" loose. Turned out to be the BPGA. Car developed a vast array of faults, including an intermittent charging fault.

Took it to another garage. Secured the BPGA back down, reset the BSI. Charge fault returned. Alternator was then checked. Everyone scratching heads. Garage suggested a loose wire left by halfords but no one could find it or fix it.

Fast forward and we buy a new BPGA and fit ourselves (himself, to be fair). Only at this point he notices the alternator actually wasn't securely connected to the old one. So that could have been the cause of the intermittent "Charge Fault:Stop the vehicle". Anyway. New BPGA. Car runs like a dream for a week. Then bam. Struggles to start again.

When replacing the BPGA we could only copy the order the wires were in, given they were probably done by Halfords (they had definitely been at this when changing the battery as it was loose) we are wondering if someone in the wrong place. I will attach a photo.

Can anyone please confirm if this looks the same as theirs? In terms of placement of wires? Or even better have any way to find a diagram for it? We are at a complete loss.

Thanks for sticking with my long depressing tale 😭
Attachments
20231125_121220.jpg
20231125_123129.jpg
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: BPGA/Battery help please C4 Grand

Post by RichardW »

Welcome along!

When you say struggles to start, what are the symptoms?
Richard W
Yvonnepage

Post by Yvonnepage »

Hi, thank you!

Sometimes it took 5 or 6 presses of the button to get it going prior to the new BPGA. Husband said probably because the battery was low with the charging fault. The charge fault hasn't returned, but it needed to be jump started this morning. Again. Despite a new battery, a new BPGA and an alternator check.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Unfortunately, when this unit is removed, you are supposed to write down the connections and location (or photograph it as above). Different models with different equipment have different connections and fuses.

The wiring colours are no good as a guide as the wiring colours change.

The only way to check these are correct is to look on the wiring sleeves for the wiring codes and also for the marking F9, F10 F11 etc somewhere on the casing and state which wire (with code) is in which position and what 'F*' it states on the casing (I can't see clearly enough if these are shown from the image). Then I might be able to confirm. The other issue is that the fuses are not positioned in ascending or descending order - so can't assume position to fuse.

Halfrauds are the pits. They just don't have the staff training to work on modern vehicles and this is what can happen.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Yvonnepage

Post by Yvonnepage »

Thank you for that it's really helpful. Will have my husband try to have a look on the wiring sleeves and see what we can see and come back to you. Needed jumped yesterday but started like a dream thus morning with no faults at all. It can't make up its mind!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yvonnepage wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 07:07started like a dream thus morning with no faults at all. It can't make up its mind!
Sorry to be a bit flippant Yvonne, but that's what Citroens do - normal behaviour and it's why we all love them so much :wink: :lol:

Seriously, hoping this can all soon be put right and all will be good for a long time :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...