DS5 Sport 2013 HDi - lazy cold starting

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cupra to DS5

DS5 Sport 2013 HDi - lazy cold starting

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Hi,
May well be a very simple solution to this but my DS5 is very lazy at turning over to start on cold mornings

Wondering if it's just the case of an aging battery or something else

Works fine in all other conditions and no visible dips in lighting etc

Occasionally getting the eco mode active message on the display but not all the time

Had a variety of trip times and distances

Cheers

Dave
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: DS5 Sport 2013 HDi - lazy cold starting

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Very likely - a battery with poor health will become more obvious in winter months as it takes more effort to start and of course with the additional drain on operating heating and other electrical consumers. If it's over 5 years old - maybe time to consider a replacement.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Cupra to DS5

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Brill, thanks for the answer, thought that would be the case but a second opinion always helps
Cheers
Dave
Cupra to DS5

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Hi
Just re-raising this one as had the battery replaced (branded one not a cheapo) and it still seems pretty lazy first thing when it's cold

Turns fine once it's warmed up but doesn't seem quite how it should be on first start up in the cold

I've had the voltmeter on it when ticking over and it looks like power is going into the battery as it should from the alternator. The alternator is a little noisy but still seems to be charging OK

Should it have a certain resting voltage when the ignition is turned off?

Just wondering if anything could be slowly draining it when it isn't running. I currently have to lock it with the key in the door as the alarm is activating itself when set from the fob (possibly the back up battery in the siren having died). Would that mean all circuits aren't being shut down properly?

Would one of those solar battery trickle chargers help or do they not work as the cigarette lighter isn't live without the ignition on?

Cheers

Dave
Cupra to DS5

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Any opinion from you clever peeps on this for me at all?
It's booked in at Citroen for some bits so I've asked them to check this too but it's not for over a month
Cheers
Dave
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

You haven't explained what you mean by "lazy".

There's a delay after you press the start button, this is longer when it's cold as it takes longer for the glow plugs to warm up, and is instant in the summer.

If this is all the issue is then it's working as designed and there's nothing wrong with it.
Cupra to DS5

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Hi
Lazy as in doesn't turn over as fast as you'd think, especially with a new battery, starter motor sounds slower

I tend to press the start button first and wait for the glow plug light to go out before I start it in cold weather anyway 👍🏻
Cupra to DS5

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Quick update on this one for for anyone else who may be suffering the same issue.
The cause was a failing starter motor. Had that replaced and it turns over spritely and sounds how you'd expect it to so no longer lazy when turning over
The mechanic said a failing starter can ruin a new battery in approx 2 years as it starts to demand more resistance as it fails, damaging the battery? Not sure if it's accurate or not?