205 GTI Starter problems PLEASE HELP!!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lil-petey
My Cars:

205 GTI Starter problems PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by lil-petey »

I have an '87 205 1.9 GTI which has had a deteriorating starter motor for a while. Normally it would just click when you turned the key, but a trusty tap with hammer later, and the car started fine.
It has been stored for a few months in the garage, and to no surprise when taken out again the starter was completely dead ... no hammer would do the trick!
I have now replaced the starter motor with one from Andyspares (by far the cheapest!). I have replaced the inlet manifold and all the other bits but it still wont start now.
I have also now tried charging the battery, cleaned and checked all the electrical contacts on battery and starter motor and have changed the ignition relay for a new one.
...Still nothing but a click!!!
Any ideas would be appreciated as I move house in a week, and really need the car!!!!!
CANDO

Post by CANDO »

Are you sure the battery is in good condition?
Try switching all lights(Main beam) and all accessories and observe the brightness of the head lamps under load.
silverline
My Cars:

Post by silverline »

have you got an immobiliser fitted? i have a 205 gti and the previous owners had the same problem as you. i think the immobiliser causes a voltage drop the they had a soleniod fitted which ups the power when you turn the key. im not sure how it all works but the point is it does work! its never been a problem since. i had a 309gti and i know someone who also has a 205gti both had the same problem, bypassed the immobiliser and neither have been any trouble since.
CANDO

Post by CANDO »

Have you checked the starter leads at both ends?
I had this same problem on my 405.
I don’t know the layout of your vehicle but on mine I found that the battery earth lead & the motor earth lead were bolted to the bodywork together (in my case under the battery tray. A connection I had overlooked) A good clean up here solved my problem.