gti chip

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

silverline
My Cars:

gti chip

Post by silverline »

i ve just been on to ebay and theres people on there selling "chips" for the 205 gti. these "chips" are supposed to give the car a big power increase and overall better running but they are only £15! that seems to be a very small amount of money considering the difference they're supposed to make. does anyone know any thing about them or even bought one from ebay and had it fitted? i nearly bought one but then didn't want to risk it frying the ecu or something horrible like that.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I believe they are about as effective as my ability to attract women, ie none, You may notice a fractional increase but probably at the expense of fuel. They are all over ebay and some sold for £2 sort of thing. I would steer clear and if youre after that sort of thing, you sometimes see superchipped 205 ecu's for £40-50 which would be a far better option although even those will only give you 5bhp or so but a better power curve to go with it
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

I agree with the above!!
These "Chips" are most likely resistors in a box, with a lead poking out. If you put this resistor in series with the inlet manifold air flow sensor (sorry - forgotten the proper name of it...) then the ECU is fooled into putting more fuel into the mix, basically you are just making the mixture richer - not good for an engine or fuel consumption...
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Either that or they couple into the coolant temperature sensor, making it think it's still in warmup = more fuel.
There's no magic £2 trick i'm aware of that actually works, unless you count a piece of emery cloth for a DIY porting job...
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Agree with all the above.Even if you took it to somewhere like superchips,you`d only get 5-10 bhp.Chips are good if you uprate the cam,exhuast,air filter etc,but then you`d proberly only get about a 20bhp increase.Save your money.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Been on Ebay looking at these 'chips'.Read the feedback of the seller.There seems to be alot of unhappy people buying these things.Seems a bit to good to be true.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

If they were true, Superchips et all would have been out of business a long time ago... If one is 200 times more than another, would you go for the cheaper option?
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

If you're interested in getting "most bang for your buck" (hmm... maybe in this instance not the best turn of phrase!) try buying yourself a K&N (or equivalent) induction kit - has really put the poke into my XSi!
silverline
My Cars:

Post by silverline »

cheers guys i can safely say you've convinced me not to buy one! i ve already got a K&N on the 205 but fancied some extra oomph. it aint worth the money for +20 bhp or so. its still alot of fun how it is!
cheers.