Xantia steering gone mad.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Xantia steering gone mad.....

Post by paranoid »

Replaced Hydraflush with Lhm yesterday everything went fine, Changed wheels front to back and now the steering wheel points to one o clock, left front was very slightly worn on the outer edge but not much, this has flummoxed me any ideas before I take the air bag off?
All tyres are the same size, right pressures etc and I think it pulls to the left a little bit but this might be due to the position of the wheel.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If your front nearside wheel was worn on the outside edge it suggests too much toe-in and the tracking needs to be adjusted soon. make sure its is done properly from both sides, not just one unless the rack is already out of position.
Your rear tyres will have worn in the centre with a flat tread and shulders. The front tyres will have more wear on the shoulders, this is normal. Your rear tyres on the front are producing a torque off centre at the moment and this is what is causing the steering wheel not to sit straight. When they wear to the front pattern then all will be as before. The position of the rack/wheel cannot have changed on its own.
Take care until the tyres have settled down as the full tread is not being used properly and therefore you don't have full grip.
Jeremy
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Suggest you get the bottom ball joints tested for play before spending money on tracking.
Mark
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

This is very weird.....
About 2 weeks ago changed dash bulbs and repositioned s/wheel due to being slightly off straight ahead ever since I got the car, everything hunky dorey.
Always had a slight wobble through steering at 70-80mph which got better after balancing, I swoped wheels front to back yesterday to check that it was the wheels and not anything else expensive, I have repositioned steering wheel back to original lining up marks i made before taking it off 2 weeks ago, and no wobble, no pulling to one side, and a lot less harsh over bumpy roads. (ie Very citroeny)
Tyres are all the same make but they look very cheap,Korean never heard of make, possibly re-moulds.
Its like the sidewalls are softer.
Does this make sense to anyone?