Xantia Engine gone???????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITROEN-SUCKER

Xantia Engine gone???????

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Hi I think the engine is completely shot but want a 2nd opinion. My In-laws Xantia 1.9D broke down last week overheated and once cooled refused to start. Took it to bits to find the heater inlet pipes had come lose and all the water had leaked out so head shot put a recon head on it new gasket and new timing belt all went together well but once started seems to be very rough with lots of smoke checked timing seems ok no water in oil or other way but a lot of gas coming from oil filler am I right to think the block is gone or have i missed something?
Thanks
j.j.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Hi j.j., it does sound close to terminal but the only real way is a compression check. The pressurising of the crankcase is really only caused by ring blow by and this could be broken rings. In extreme cases it is possible for the rings to stick in piston grooves when the engine is cooked well. No short term cure. Get a compression check done before you go any further. This may have to be a reputable garage as DIY is an expensive route for one test. Make sure you get to see the results too. There are a few systems around that measure the amperage taken by the starter motor when cranking which when analysed give an 'indication' of weak cylinders. Avoid these systems and insist on a physical pressure test and then seeing and keeping the results.
It is often the pattern of the results rather than the absolute pressure achieved that can be revealing.
Make sure the battery is well charged too for the test.
Good luck, Robin
CITROEN-SUCKER

Post by CITROEN-SUCKER »

Well, to be fair i think this is the final straw that's me finished with these cars. One last question though I got a new windscreen fitted to this thing at the start of the year a new heater matrix and it just had all new tires also the suspension is excellent just the engine that's buggered anyone got a clue as to what I should ask for it as it still has tax till 30/11/04 and MOT till 07/12/04
Thanks
J.J.[V]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

As a 1.9D it's worth maybe £200 - if it was running! With a shot engine it's worth no more than the tax that's left on it really. Might be worth a shot in the local free ads for spares / repair, but I doubt you'll see any takers, so it will probably have to go to the scrappers. Get the tax off it and in the post today or tomorrow so you can get July's back.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I've got a piston here out of an XUD9T which had been midly overheated. (Well ok then driven with a blown headgasket and overheated) One side of it is completely scraped and scratched were it looks as if the ring has stuck and the piston has scraped down the side of the cylinder.
This would cause serious loss of compression if it has happened in your engine and hence the symptoms you describe. The cylinder itself got away lightly, nothing a quick hone wouldnt sort out.