306 Key Coding

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cutie_matty
My Cars:

306 Key Coding

Post by cutie_matty »

I have recently bought a new IR key plip for my 306 (98 R). I've programmed it for the central locking, but it doesn't start the car, as it has to be coded for the immobiliser. Peugeot want to charge £15 for the code, and £65 + VAT to code it!!
Does anyone know a cheaper way of coding the key, or of any company around the Bucks/Oxon/Northants area that will code it. Thanks.
woody-som

Post by woody-som »

I assume you bought this, as the oldone has worn out/broke.
what you need to do, providing you have the old one, is to take the chip out and place in the new one. This will then disable the immobiliser.
cutie_matty
My Cars:

Post by cutie_matty »

Actually when I bought the car it only came with one key, and I needed a spare. Therefore I still need the old key (and chip). Any ideas?
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

You could always take off the steering shroud, and tape the chip from the old key (very securely!) to the induction loop around the ignition barrel. This does mean that you have bypassed the immobiliser tho, and technically you'd need to tell the insurance guys I guess...
Or maybe, keep the chip in the ashtray (in its own key case?) and place it near the barrel whenever you start the car - although that just seems a bit desperate...
I think Peugeot are the only guys that can recode the ECU, so if you want a proper job you'd have to stump up the cash...
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

isnt it possible to get the code read from a local keyt cutter
when i got my dads primera key donee, it had an immobiliser as well and the guy put the key into some sort of reader and then programmed the key new with that code
my mate needs a new cli key as well so will see how he gets on