ABS sensor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JackTar
My Cars:

ABS sensor

Post by JackTar »

How do you get an ABS sensor out in one piece ?
I tried for 2 hours today to get one out my XM but despite WD40 and claw hammer it refuses to budge.
Jim
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Hello!
Is it front or rear sensor? If the sensor goes fully into a hole there is little chance of getting it out in one piece. They are quite fragile things. Best bet is to price up a new one. Proberly around £70.At least it will save time if not money.
JackTar
My Cars:

Post by JackTar »

Its a rear sensor. There is enough space under the sensor to get a claw hammer under it, but I dont want to break it off or I wont get the new sensor in.
Jim
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

You might try brushing it around with a fine wire brush and applying a loosening juice. Then you might be lucky if you tap it gently with a hammer and a block of wood.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I did one on my BX last year- much the way Tom suggests. I seem to remember soaking it in WD40 and plus gas or similar and gripping it with pliers and twisting and hitting the pliers with a hammer. Eventuallyit started to move but remained obstinate to the last.
I filed out the hole to clean it up but the new one was nearly as difficult to get in.
Had I not wanted to try and repair the failed sensor I would probably have cut the head off woth a cold chisel and punched the rest out. in fact I wasn't able to repair it so might as well have done that.
To add to the fun some of the backplate bolts sheared and i had to drill them out and replace them. A wonderful example of what should be a half hour job taking all day!
Jeremy
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

hammer and punch saw mine come out but it was in pieces but i was replacing it so i didnt care of the damage. if it dont come out that way try a pair of mole grips and wrench it through the other way!