BX return hose

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rob Marshall

BX return hose

Post by Rob Marshall »

Well, treated the old faithful BX to a pressure washing underneath. Naturally no rust – thanks to my annual waxoyl ritual; although I have got to weld that blasted rear exhaust hanger back on when I get some welder gas!!
Getting it ready for its major service to be performed later in the summer comprising of all fluids change (including the LHM rinsing solution), all filters, polish, paint round the windows as paint has faded from grey to white & generally get the old girl ready for the winter. I decided to pressure wash the engine & underbelly to get rid of old engine oil / salt etc. Now nice & clean.
While having a quick pre service inspection, I noticed a rather nasty split on the nearside return pipe from the front strut. This is one that forms part of the octopus and goes into a metal sleeve (with nasty sharp edges!). All the return hoses were changed in December 2002; so I do not think (hope?) the rest of the octopus is knackered!!
In readiness I am preparing to cut the split piece of return hose off, and joint in a new piece. Are there any new parts for this ‘mod’?
I was looking round the scrapyard, and BX windscreen washer hose that goes from the wiper centre to the “spray bar” looks the same type of pipe; just thinking of ‘robbing’ one and jointing it on?
Any ideas guys? The split is very deep, and I do not want to create a LHM lake on the M5!!!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

LHM pipe is LHM pipe; if you don't have a spare bit, i can cut you a few good inches off by old Octopus and send it you...
If you see another BX (or any hydro Cit) in the scrappers, pinch a bit of the nylon breather pipe off the top of the tank; it's outside diameter is the same as the inner diameter of LHM return hose. I used a bit of the rear return pipe and some old octo pipe to aid fitting of the new octo on my BX - and there's no leak from there.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

Hey Phil. That is a very kind offer. Could I take you up on that??
I am in no rush (yet!) for the pipe. Could you e-mail me on:
triumphtoledo@hotmail.com
& we can swop addresses.
Many many thanks,
ROB
P.S. Pic of car is under page 1 of "Citroen Disappointment"