Ticking frequently

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

couteau
My Cars:

Ticking frequently

Post by couteau »

My 92 2.0i XM ticks too frequently, about every 10 seconds. The accumulator sphere is new so what could it be?
Can the spheres loose the gas so fast? I am talking about weeks here.
Charles
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Charles
There are many possible causes. Can you tell how long the 'hiss' is before the click occurs? This tells you the cut-in period and will help diagnosis. Is it the same if you have the suspension on lowest?
I assume that by 'loose' you actually mean 'lose' ? The spheres 'loose' their pressure every time the LHM volume in them decreases, but they only 'lose' pressure by aging or when the diaphragm ruptures. Has the frequent clicking appeared suddenly or gradually? How clean is the LHM?
HTH
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There are 3 ways oil LHM can escape from the accumulator, on is onwards into the rest of the circuit, 2 is down the piston/ valve shaft in the centre and the third is back the way it came through the non return valve.
Unless a component is leaking heavily internally (even with suspension fully dropped which eliminates most of the suspension) the first can be ruled out, the second is very unlikely if the regulator otherwise seems ok, which leaves the non-return valve which can be repaired easily.
basically remove the sphere, and the small bolt and plate now revealed. catch the ball bearing, make sure all is clean, tap it smartly onto its seat once using a brass punch, re-assemble, and after bleeding etc wait for it to click and wait, and wait....
I've done a couple as have others (AlanS), and more detailed instructions can be found by searching.
jeremy
couteau
My Cars:

Post by couteau »

Hi Jeremy,
I have tried doing as per your suggestion and it seems to increase the frequency. Is there any thing that I did wrong:
1) Remove the acc. spheres
2) Remove the remaining LHM which then reveal a plate (secured by a bolt, I think it was 10mm) with ball bearing under it.
3) Remove the plate, ball stayed in place
4) Tried to knock the ball but does not budge
5) Re-assemble and ticking increases!
Am I knocking the right ball?
Charles
couteau
My Cars:

Post by couteau »

Hi there,
Further to my earlier post, I have the following observation:
1) At the lowest level, the ticking is about the same.
2) The hissing is not so long...not much at all in fact.
3) There is a tick every second when the suspension rise.
4) LHM has been replaced with hydraflush recently.
5) Suspension is still soft...ever since I disabled sport mode permanently. My electrovalve fails so I disassemble the electrovalve and reverse the spring inside the valve so it is normally open to the third sphere.
Why does the ticking so frequent?
Charles.