petrol -deisel mistaken fill

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peug19td
My Cars:

petrol -deisel mistaken fill

Post by peug19td »

I've got a peugot 405td and mistakenly filled the tank up with unleaded. It is 7 years old and I was wondering wether i can syphon it out without the fear of a syphon mesh. I haven't driven or started it, so the damage isn't done, its just getting tha stuff out of the damn tank[:(]
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Should be a drain hole at the bottom of the tank. Undue that and empty the tank-careful with the petrol etc- make sure u have proper place to capture it/store it.[:D]
Oh-and get new diesel to re-fill[;)]
I'm sure someone else can give you better description-and how to drain pipes as I don;t own that car so don;t know layout.
Important thing as you say is that you have not started the car yet!!
Regards
Blag
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

cant offer any advice except trying this draining thing however I understand how it happened. I havent owned a diesel for about 6 years but am still paranoid im going to put the wrong stuff in and then matters were worse when my Visa was on the road which used 4 star/lrp and the zx unleaded argh. Have to check and re-check about 5 times before squeezing the pumps trigger :)
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

You should be able to get a syphon tube into the tank. How much diesel was in there when you filled? In France, I did the same thing many years ago when I had a Sierra/Peugeot engine. I filled with petrol ending up with about 50/50 mix. I syphoned out about five gallons, then topped up with diesel at every opportunity. The engine suffered no ill-effects.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My wife recently did this(twice!!!)in her mondeo.The first time a full tank.Had to pump it out using priming pump as it has anti syphon on the tank.Replaced fuel filter and 3 cans of diesel & came back 2 life,no ill effects.2nd time half a tank of 4*.Filled it to brim with diesel & kept topping it up,ran a bit rough untill it conked out.Then had to do above AGAIN.Was not happy with her!Ran alright after that.
As the tank had anti syphon,i managed to get about 3gallons out by removing rear wheel on filler neck side & lowering it to the ground.After that,had to pump it out by priming pump under bonnet by putting a small tube inplace of the outlet pipe.Took about 5 hours,but cheeper than a garage(£150)Drain,get it going,put some more diesel in it,then change fuel filter.Should b ok.Good luck.
couteau
My Cars:

Post by couteau »

Draining the 405 petrol tank is easy enough since at the bottom of the 405 petrol tank (I mention petrol here since I am only familiar with the petrol model) there is a drain nut, which frequently leaks!
Most owners, like myself, have sealed this nut permanently but since you are not aware of this leak problem, then hopefully it is not sealed for life. Simply unscrew this nut and drain carefully, then refill.
Worse case is to disconnect the petrol pump (at the bottom of the car in front of the petrol tank) and drain. I have not tried this method but the petrol pump & filter is located on the bottom of the car in front of the petrol tank so removing them should drain the fuel.
Good luck.
Charles
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Not having done this one yet BUt it theres still time.
BUt im pretty sure the filler neck is only jub/circ cliped onto the fuels tank, well it looks that way on my car (but im sure i can hear the words yeee harrrr when i look at previous owners work on my car).
So its just a case of jack it up and undo and hope not too much goes up your sleeve.
hth
later si