Aggghhh Help! AX Problem!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

Aggghhh Help! AX Problem!

Post by cheesesliceking »

Evening!
I've got an 1989 AX GT & the other week i kept getting a knocking noise from the front left wheel, i took the shiny devil off & check the CV etc & driveshafts ( as best i could) & couldnt find a sodding thing wrong, but now the noise has gone!!! which is bad! as its been replaced by a wierd dinging noise! imagine hitting the bottom of a pan with a wooden spoon! well thats the noise i get when changing form 1st to 2nd gear, (mainly whilst cornering) roundabouts etc.
Any ideas people??[;)]
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

I know you have checked them but sounds like a cv joint to me.
cheesesliceking

I know its really weird. i cant understand it.. I think ill have to take it bits & start again...[:(!]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

A worn CV joint makes a very distinctive metallic clicking noise on cornering, which could be likened to banging a saucepan with a spoon!!!. How did you check the CV joints? If theres any wear in them you can feel for play a lot easier if the car is on its wheels with the handbrake on and in neutral - grasp the driveshaft and try hard to twist it, there shouldn't be any obvious play in the shaft either rotationally or laterally - if they are worn enough to click you should be able to feel some movement. You need to twist them hard because the rubber of the gaiters will damp any movement. The diff/gearbox won't resist as there will be lots of play in there any way.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sounds daft but is the central nut still on with the retaining pin in it? Changed the drive shaft on my old zx, on a test drive this sound was coming from the side changed. Took off hub cap and nut and pin between cap and wheel.
cheesesliceking

Cheers BXBodger, I'm gonna check it again, with the twist technique you mentioned [8D]
This might sound a bit dumb but... Can i change the CV joint without changing the driveshaft?
Cheers Stuart I'll check that too.[;)]
Ta[:D]
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Yes you can.
You simply remove the CV joint from the driveshaft in the same way you would change the CV Boot/Gaiter. A swift knock with a mallet will do the trick to release the CV from the driveshaft. There's only a split ring holding it on, make sure you fit a new ring when you put the replacement CV joint on. You may as well do the CV boot while you're there. It will save hassle in the future.
I think GSF do a replacement CV Joint, alternatively you could risk a scrappy one!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree that it sounds like a CV joint. I don't know if all are removeable from the shaft but yours are then you should be able to do the job with the shaft in the car but care must be taken that the inner koint doesn't come apart. the technique is to free the shaft from the hub, remove the boot and hit it. You should use a copper hammer as cast iron to cast iron may cause damage.
Ideally you shaould replace the spring retaining ring but the one supplied with my GKN boot kit was of a larger diameter and wouldn't fit the groove properly.
It might help if you could get someone to drive the car in tight circles while you walk alongside and listen.
jeremy
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I am not sure about AX shafts; presumeably they are the same as on the 205 and have a removeable C.V. joint- most shafts do anyway,and if thats the case then you can easily do it in situ.
Undo the bottom ball joint and the hub nut and swing the hub assembly out of the way , then as jeremy and gib02 say give it a whack with a copper or rubber hammer, while keeping a good grip on the inner joint-the CV should then just fall straight off. This is made a lot easier if you cut the rubber gaiter away first, and in practice once the gaiter is away you will probably find you can pull the joint off by hand.If you do change the joint and the circlip goes missing or breaks, then its not the end of the world- its only purpose is to hold the c.v. joint onto the shaft when its not on the car, I have had replaced several joints over the years and never had any bother with not having a circlip.
cheesesliceking

Reeyt, now im totally confused, i just asked on the AX owners club forum & they say that you cant changed the CV joint seperately.
Thansk for the info i'll check it out & see what the sittuation is.
Cheers![:D]
cheesesliceking

sod it. i'll just change the whole shaft, sounds a lot easier. [:p] just didnt wanna spend too much as im saving for a VTR lump to be put in!
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

why not just buy a saxo vtr or vts
cheesesliceking

Dont like em. just want the lump for performance. Paxo's are to heavy
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

The driveshafts on my AX diesel do not have outer CV joint that are removable. The inner CVs can be pulled off but the outers are part of the shaft. My outer CVs have been clicking on hard steering for some time (probably in the region of 30-40k miles) - mind you the torque that is but through them could be held by a rubber band!
cheesesliceking

I've decided to just change the whole shaft now... seems easier! I think the GT shafts are the same as the Diesel shafts in case you are interested[8D]