re citroen xantia hdi 110

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dohnut
My Cars:

re citroen xantia hdi 110

Post by Dohnut »

Citroen xantia W reg hatchback loses power on motorway revs drop to 2800 and maximum speed 80 mph.Have had computer diagnostic check,reports say small fault on turbo rectified by computer,engine diagnostic light still on, checked electrical point 1208 no fault found therefore problem must be the high pressure pump.
To spend £1000 fitting new high pressure pump on a therefore it must be statement by a qualified citroen engineer seems a little bit hit and miss.How accurate is computer diagnostic check in determining the cause of this problem?
Is there some other check I need to do first before proceeding?
The problem feels like it could be fuel starvation.But how do l determine whether this is the case?
Secondly how do l determine what sort of assension spheres are fitted to this vehicle?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not coming up to 60k by any chance is it? This seems to be the mileage the LOW pressure fuel pumps pack up - which definitely gives fuel starvation symptoms, and no fault codes [}:)]
Cheaper than a HP pump, but not pennies by any means (fuel tank out IIRC)! I guess it should be possible to engineer a means to measure the LP fuel pressure, but I don't know what it should be!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I'm with Richard; sounds like the old "HDi low pressure pump" problem which does get documented now and then...
Assension spheres...I like the description :) , but "Suspension" spheres they are; There was a very long post on spheres very recently (I think V6 or activa related) with pressures/part numbers/applications galore!
Dohnut
My Cars:

Post by Dohnut »

Thanks for the help and advice, low pressure pump was my choice too, have had it out already it can be removed from inside the car under the rear seat. It seemed to be working ok but well as you say a lot cheaper than the HP pump.
As for milage, 72,000
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

it sounds like the car is in limp home mode as it wont rev above 2800rpm,a faulty LP pump is unlikely to cause limphome mode,as richardW says it doesent bring any fault codes up when this goes,however a 'small' turbo or turbo pressure fault will cause this.
when you say you checked electrical point 1208 you mean the piston deactivator on the HP pump ?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Have you tried the simple and cheap method of disconnecting the battery terminals for 30 mins? (After having assured yourself that you are in possesion of the radio /immobilizer codes!)
//NiSk
volcane305

Post by volcane305 »

sounds a bit like the problem I had with my HDI 110. Air flow meter was changed then all of the actuator valves. None of the above worked and a new turbo was fitted due to malfunction of wastegate actuator valve. All under warranty lucky enough.