tweak my pump?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goodier
My Cars:

tweak my pump?

Post by goodier »

xantia 1.9td how do i tweak my pump for more power and how much could i gain
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Do a search here on "Diesel tuning" - there is a lot of info. Then, if you have any specific questions ask them here. It's pretty easy and produces good results.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Until you have sorted out your cooling system, don't even think of it! Flush the rad first and be aware that lots of people have made them go much faster before learning how to change engines!
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I agree with Tom,
if you increase your power by altering things as I have done. It generates more heat when your increase power, so with that plus your present cooling problem, its not good for your engine with the hot weather we are having at present.
So once you've solved your problem then look for info about tuning your motor.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My car runs same temp before & after power upgrade,despite new rad ect.i supose all cars are a bit different temp wise?
Do get it sorted though before uping power.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

np,
What have you done to boost your Xantia ?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Had it boosted at www.vanaaken.com
115bhp/185lft torque.They basicly adjust the fuel pump to give more power.Cost £385,did`nt fell confedent diy`ing myself.That was 2 1/2yrs ago now,now done 134k,no probs.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

£385 for a fuel pump tweak sounds very expensive - How long did they have it?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

According to their quote they remove the pump, recalibrate it, replace the cambelt etc before they start, I suppose they dont want a load of "max power" readers coming back with their engines in a cardboard box;) Bryn (ohms 69) showed me how to do a Rotodeisel fuel pump and it was really simple.
Stewart
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BonceChops</i>

£385 for a fuel pump tweak sounds very expensive - How long did they have it?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You're paying for the expertise and knowledge, not necessarily an hourly rate and parts costs. By paying what seems a high amount means that it's not bodged (and won't trash your engine in 50 miles).
There was a tale of someone who was charged £50 for a 2 second blow with a hammer to fix something (can't remember), The person complained at the high bill; It came back amended as:
2 second blow with hammer; £0.01
Knowing where to hit; £49.99
Experience has its price, alas...Shame Citroen dealers don't adhere to this!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Philhowards right.I know it was done properly & set up right.No excessive smoke,same fuel comsumpsion,passed the last 2 MOT no probs,well down on emissions.
It took about 3 hrs,as they road test it before to make sure it`s running as citroen intended.Then road test after.If for some reason they cant do it,they dont charge.Had it done at 105k,now done 134k.Will certainly take my next td there.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Do Vanaaken do a rolling road run to show you how much power you have ?
I had my Xantia done by Allard. He charged 80 quid.
He recons I have around 110 BHP. He didn't use a rolling road, so i don't know the exact power. It feels pretty good though. had it up to 120 MPH on the speedo... again .. on a private road
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

No they dont.Estimate 110-120bhp.Top speed is same,110mph(est,areodynamics)but pulls alot better through rev range.Before,it used to run out of puff at 4400rpm,no it`ll do 5000rpm in 1,2,3,4.Pulls the caravan a treat now.It used to struggle to do 50ish,now it`ll 60 plus,with plenty in reserve.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you've got more power the top speed should be higher shouldn't it?
Perhaps you've had a midrange torque boost without increasing the top end power, making it feel faster than it actually is.