ZX Central Locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rj.kennedy

ZX Central Locking

Post by rj.kennedy »

The central locking on my 96 ZX TD is playing up. Investigation so far reveals the front door catches have 3 connectors. One is for the locking motor, one for a microswitch that signals door locked/unlocked and one for door latched (closed) / not latched. The central locking controller is rumoured to live by the handbrake bt the large relay sized box there only has 4 wires. Is there an alternative position for the central locking control? Also I noted from previous posts that there the door looms connect to the vehicle loom at some point. Does anyone know if these connections are in the A and B posts respectively?
Thanks,
Richard
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Of the 3 wires that run to the front door lock I would think 2 are to drive the motor, the controller has to reverse the polarity to drive the motor in both directions for locking and unlocking, the other wire being for lock postition sensing.
You might be looking at the wrong component when you say the relay box only has four wires, what year and model ZX do you have, does it have air bag's.
I can pick out at least 7 wires to the controller from the photo in the Haynes manual, there are probably 8 in total.
The connectors to the loom should be accessable behind the fuse pannel for the drivers door and glove box for the passenger door.
Dave
rj.kennedy

Post by rj.kennedy »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply. The car is a ZX TD Elation II built either 12/95 or early 96 but registered in August 96 (P) with key operated central locking only (no remote). I think you are right about the relay by the handbrake, it has a large arrow pointing to the front of the car, presumably the G sensor for the drivers air bag.
Each front door lock has 3 connectors. One with two wires for the bidirectional drive the locking motor, one with two wires to a uswitch that detects the door is fully closed (contact closed when the door is closed)and one with 3 wires to a uswitch with change over contact to indicate door locked and door not locked. Hence a total of 7 wires to one door lock and plenty of scope for poor connections.
I will check the connections behind the glovebox since the problems seem to centre on the near side front door, but I still don't know where the central locking controller is. I will let you know if I find it.
Regards,
Richard