Xantia Aux Drive Belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Malcolm
My Cars:

Xantia Aux Drive Belt

Post by Malcolm »

Got Timing and Aux belt for '98 Xantia 1.9TD Tempt 2 Estate earlier today and need some clarification please. + Air Con.
Using Haynes manual, neither description for 1.9D with or without 'auto adjuster' look to be what I got. The following Haynes paragraph relates to Aux Belt on 2.1 engines with auto adjust. As both 1.9 descriptions refer to a some manual adjustment mechanism which mine doesn't have, the 2.1 desription looks more like it.
Does this sound feasible? If so, are there any tips please. 3/8" drive to move tensioner. Is this not locked off like timing belt? Inserting metal rod with r/a bend at end, does this locate into a corresponding hole in the block through roller back-plate (setting hole)? Loosen eccentric roller securing bolt to fully relieve belt tension. Is this the roller centre bolt? All possible with limited access so close to inner wing?
The 405GLD timing belt last week was a piece of cake. Help please.[:(]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

My Xantia is the 2.1 but have also got two of the smaller XUD's. I have never found Haynes of much help and could never find a setup in the manuals to match the cars. What I would advise is to make a careful drawing of all the pulleys showing where the belt goes on them. It's so easy to get it wrong.
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks John. The 2.1 drawing reflects the routing OK.
What's the principle of the eccentric roller securing bolt?
Why do you touch that when the previous paragraph states that with the rod inserted you can remove belt? Or does slacken that off allow the rod to be removed to pogress with the timing belt job? And is this a necessary action, applying the torque to reset / ensure correct tension is achieved that may currently be a little light after use since last set?
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Malcolm,
Before you start make sure that you have the correct Aux Drive belt! Citroen fitted a selection to the Xantia depending on the make of the Air-con compressor and the number of bolts holding the Altenator (Yes it is true). There should be a number on the original belt which relates to the width and lengh. The new belt must be the same.
I have the same model as you and I have the eccentric roller. It is the centre bolt that releases it. I found that I had to remove the off-side front CPU plastic box to give enough room to lift the auto adjuster roller and locate the rod (home made) through into the block. The new belt will need tensioning correctly without the auto adjuster. Make sure that the centre bolt is really tight or the eccentric roller will move (mine did[:(]).
Richard
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Rich,
thanks for help. "tensioning without the auto adjuster". There is no other adjustment, or am I missing something obvios/
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

The belt must be initially correctly tensioned using the eccentric roller without the auto adjuster pressing on it. The auto adjuster will take up any stretch in the belt whilst in service
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks John & Rich.
Completed the belt replacements today today. The Aux belt which I got was too short - 1690. Good old GSF Leeds had the correct one - 1740 in stock. Also found water pump weeping - good old GSF Leeds. I thought the Pug 405 was a tight enough job. A breeze compared with Cit. And the bolt behind the back of the rear top cover. Anyway out of the way for a few more miles.
Thanks again guys, and Leeds GSF.
Malcolm