Accumulators

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonka

Accumulators

Post by tonka »

Just a quick question should I have the accumulator changed when I have the LHM fluid replaced, after the Hydo flush has done its job.
Am still concerned re the noise from my pump on a 2000 xantia (half turn of wheel cuases whine) Could it be the accumulator[?][?]
thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

No specific need to change the accumulator when hydraflushing - the residual pressure will push all the LHM out of the sphere when the system is depressured. However, when you go to pick the car up, listen to it from outside (engine running!) to determine how often it is repressuring the system (probably just a soft hiss / whirring noise on a Xantia, rather than a distinct click - unless the acc is totally shot). Anything less than about 45s and you should be asking them to replace the acc.
Acc has nothing to do with the PAS on later Xantias.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Richard, what do you class as a "later Xantia" please?
Thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

95 MY on (eg built from Oct 94 I think) which are fitted with anti-sink. Easily recognisable by the presence of driver's airbag and chevrons on the grill rather than the bonnet (I think that's the way round).
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

A "Later" Xantia is classed as one with anti-sink; pretty much M reg onwards (although there are a few on the borderline). If the double chevron badge on the front is on the bonnet, it's an early one. It got moveed to the grill at the same time.
Ones with anti-sink also had a twin-outlet HP pump; also identifiable as having 2 metal outlet pipes instead of one for the early ones; one pipe is for the PAS, the other is for everything else.
egg

Post by egg »

Having read the above i'm worried. I have a 96 Xantia with an anti sink. It has a very distinctive click approx every 15-20 seconds. On startup the click is constant, like a very loud but very fast clock. Also, when i turn past 3/4 lock there is a very distinctive whine. I thought this was normal, the quirks of a Xantia! When you say the Accumulator is shot is this just the sphere or the accumulator itself?
One more thing, what is likely to happen if I put off changing?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Tonka - Silly question - is the drive belt tight? They sometimes don't squeal like days of old, but just slip - that might help with the PAS aspect.
It could also be a blocked filter, or even a collapsed inlet pipe to the pump (although i'd thought it unlikely on a 2000 Xantia). Air leaks on this pipe can cause pump starvation.
Egg - it's probably your accumulator sphere (more often than not, anyway).
egg

Post by egg »

Thanks Phil. I've just bought a couple of rear spheres. I'll get an accum sphere as well and get the the mechanic to spin it on at the same time. When it's done what would a decent ticking interval be so I know the problems properly sorted?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Somewhere between 1 and 2 minutes is excellent; anything over 30 seconds is okay-ish, but if it's this long with a new acc sphere, then start looking for an internal leakage somewhere in the system, or the pressure reg ball needs reseating; also try citaerobics (needed after a sphere change anyway) and a Hydraflush. Works wonders, apparently (see a few other posts on it)