Weak diesel and veg oil mix in HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bencowell

Weak diesel and veg oil mix in HDI

Post by bencowell »

Would it be safe or beneficial to use a weak mixture of diesel and veg oil in a 2.0 HDI engine? Say a few litres per tank. I don't see any problem with viscosity in summer.
Thanks
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have tried a mixture up to 85% (New)veg oil in a conventional XUD with no trouble, you can further reduce viscosity by adding a small amount of unleaded petrol to the veg oil. try a google search on WVO and Vegoil. dont tell the taxman though;0)
Stewart
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Makes the exhaust shell "distinctive" though, doesn't it?
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I'd have no problem experimenting in an XUD engine, but the modern HDI I have more fear about.
Would a couple of litres in a tank of diesel make any difference?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i wouldnt dream of putting veg oil in an HDi,the fuel components are very sensitive and at around £150+ per injector & £250+ for a high pressure pump i wouldnt risk it.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I would agree with Wheeler.Ok on older engines,but I would`nt try it on the new generation high pressure diesels.
Acording to some sites i`ve seen,its ok in any diesel car.But the hdi would proberly be expensive 2 fix if anything happend.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I would never dream of using strong or neat veg oil, but wondered if there would be any lubrication benefits etc of using a weak amount.
It's OK, the shareholders of Shell will still like me.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Just out of curiosity, I put my used chip oil through a coffee filter and stuck it in my tank when the tank was about 3/4 full.. I guess it was only about 3 litres ish cooking oil, and I couldn't tell it was in there.. No noticeable difference whatsoever.. No smell... Nothing.... [:D]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I think the correct way of doing it is to filter it about 3-4 times through finer filters,then for every litre of oil,you add a tablespoon of white spirit/meths.That thins it down a bit,and makes it burn better.
Tv`s Top gear try`d it last year,allbeit on a old Volvo td.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I've tried 15 litres of new veg oil in 1/3 tank of diesel, plus 1/3 pint of 2 stroke oil (to lube the pump, and I've got plenty kicking around (see sig ;) ).
Ran and started exactly the same, but smelt like a hot chip pan.
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

ive got loads of info if anyone is intrested in it or do a search on google for biodiesel. theres a bit more to it than just wacking it in tank. also seemingly you tell the taxman after the fact ie dont tell them that im knocking up 50l today its the case of oh by the way i made 50l last week or totaly
forget it. heres a couple of links ive got
http://ww2.green-trust.org:8383/making_biodiesel.htm
http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:NE ... n&ie=UTF-8
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Lubrication properties are better than conventional diesel especially ULSD, my pal made a WVO rig a few years ago, twin tanks, heated lines + filters, solenoid valves to swap fuels, two miles on diesel then switch, the engine note used to change, sounding smoother,it also used to smell spicy due to the oriental origins of his fuel. indeed a few litres of vegoil per tank can be considered as a fuel improver though the smell is a dead giveaway
I am running my fleet on Rix Biodiesel and that smells similar but less strongly. Google rix biodiesel for more details of compatibility with their fuel which presumably will have similar properties re corroding certain rubbers etc.
Stewart
Stewart
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

SVO and Dino-Diesel will not mix in the same tank, the Dino-Diesel will be used first, and then the SVO will feed through. I know this from practical experience.
I personally wouldn't try it with a HDi without heating it thoroughly before it goes into the pump.
A trick I have used is to stick 1L of SVO in the Dino filled tank, and when you smell chips, you know you're about to run out of fuel, despite what the gague tells you !
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I run my car on a 9ltrs vegi oil to £15 of diesel, quieter, cleaner more economical too.
Paul
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbunting</i>

SVO and Dino-Diesel will not mix in the same tank, the Dino-Diesel will be used first, and then the SVO will feed through. I know this from practical experience.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Interestingly, that's not been my experience. My exhaust smelled of hot fat within a mile of putting it in the tank.
Perhaps different base veg oils have differing solubility / miscibility in diesel?