Cycle Carrier For 406 Saloon

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

colinfor

Cycle Carrier For 406 Saloon

Post by colinfor »

I'm in the market for a cycle carrier (3 bike preferably) for my 406 saloon. I would prefer a boot mounted rack to keep the weight off my towbar. (Regularly tow a caravan).
I have seen racks in Halfords but the staff are unable to advise me if the racks would be suitable for my car nor will they allow me to try one and give it back if it dosent fit. Really helpfull [V]
With a hatchback, there is no problem, but with a saloon there is very little area to clamp to.
Anyone got any experience and/or reccommendations [?]
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

First piece of advice is not to expect sense from Halfords staff.
I'd be tempted to go for a roof-mounted carrier for the 406. I have a towbar mounted carrier but I don't normally tow anything.
I think the tailgate mounted ones are a total haemorrhoid
to fit and effectively disable access to the boot. The towbar ones are much quicker and easier to use but not suitable in your case.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I also regularly tow a van when we take two bikes with us. I've opted for the type which slots into two sockets fitted behind the towball. Two bikes travel safely on the rack, but a third would probably get damaged by the jockey wheel handle when turning corners. The only drawback with the arangement is that access is denied to the estate rear door.
colinfor

Post by colinfor »

Thanks guys, I had prev considered a roof mounted option but discounted it due to cost. Cant remexactly but believe the roof bars, mounts and then bike racks would be a considerable amount.
Unless anyone knows different ?
I intend keeping the 406 (98 model) for a few years so I suppose it may be worth investing in the roof system.
Col