front discs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

edd001
My Cars:

front discs

Post by edd001 »

hi to all.
just a quick one.
if you had breaks that had gone metal to metal and had badly gouged the front discs, would you replace the discs.
I ask this as i would every time but a friend took her car to a main dealer and was told that the discs were fine, so they just replaced the pads.
any thoughts welcome
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Most definately! Sadly, that's main dealers for you...for most of them, the words "arse" and "elbow" tend to be used in the same sentence...
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

hell yes, get em changed![:0]
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

replace them and sack the garage
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Inspect, replace if required. If the discs are worn below minimum thickness, scorred, cracked or pitted then they need replacing.
Discs can survive metal to metal, it all depends on how long they were like that.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'd take it on face value as has been suggested.
If they're not scored or worn they should be OK.
If you lived out here where rotors are likely to cost anything from $250 - $295 (95 - 112 UK pounds) each,[:0][:0][:0][V] you tend towards getting them reground.
Alan S [:D]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Had this with a main Ford Dealer on a 2year old Focus (ex hire) I said the disc's were worn they said that they were fine. Ended up putting a micrometer on them at home in the garage. Guess what? when faced with actual measurements they complied and the disc's were 2.5mm under the min thickness allowed. Much pulling of fore locks by the dealer.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I've just replaced the discs on our ZX 1.9 D. I changed the pads when we got the car and thought the discs were marginal and at about £9 + VAT wished I'd done the discs as well. the brakes never felt convincing and last month I finally got round to doing them. I took the old ones off and began to wonder what I'd found wrong in the first place but having got the bits and new pads I carried on. tremendous improvement much to my surprise.
The old ones really aren't that bad. What I do wonder about is that the pads i fitted to the old discs may have been slightly larger than their predecessors ad there has obviously been contact between the pad and a rusty part of the disc (outside the shiny zone)
Curiously when I fitted 4 new discs and pads to my BX I noticed no improvement at all. Those ones were really worn!
I sugegst that you fit new ones if there is any doubt.
jeremy
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Hi,
The ventilated front discs on my '99 HDi Xantia have pockets cast into the outer edge which I am given to understand are there so that this generates a noise from the pads as a warning when the discs get worn to a minimum tolerance thickness. I always remove the outer "shoulder" left on the disc by the pad with a quick turning job in the lathe.
edd001
My Cars:

Post by edd001 »

thanks to all your posts.
the discs are scorred, glad i did not do the job.
I work at a main dealer (not citroen) and we are very stricked on our work so we do not boj any jobs. Wish there were more main dealers like us.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

Since the abolition of asbestos on brake pads, the new replacement compounds are much, much harsher on discs compared to eons ago.
I wonder if the changing EU legislation has meant thye compounds in pads just get harder & harder each time....??