Heater matrix replacement (round two)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tebster
My Cars:

Heater matrix replacement (round two)

Post by Tebster »

Hi everyone,
Last time I reported on here that it only took six hours to do the heater matrix on my xantia td, I should have kept my mouth shut as the new valeo item purchased from GSF has failed in less than two weeks !
I telephoned GSF today and they said that I will have to buy a new one and return the old one, what is most odd is that they said it will have to be returned to the manufacturer before I get a refund !
How about if i bill them for a further six hours labour plus the inconvenience ?
Not good, what do you think ???
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Get it done at a Cit Dealer and send them the bill? I wouldn't be happy, but alas (I think) as all they sold was the part, then that's all they're liable for. One can but try for a "compensation/goodwill payment". Not too hot on trading standards rules (apart from the 6 month rule for cars with faults...)
If you were a garage and fitted it, then you might have a chance of going direct to Valeo (via GSF) for some sort of recompense.
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

The second but last line of my post was taking the mickey, but at minimum I would have expected a full refund straight away, after all there is a twelve month guarantee on it !
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

They can only give a refund on a returned part, hence the need to buy a new one first. You could always send the part back for replacement and wait...buy how many of us have the luxury of 2 weekends off on the trot?
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Hi philhoward
What gsf mean is that i have to return the old matrix to them, they in turn will return it to valeo, and then I may possibly get a refund, it could take months to get my money back, surely they are obliged to refund the amount straight away on receipt of the faulty item ?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

No, GSF should give you a refund on its return to them; it's their issue to take it up with Valeo. As long as it's less than 12 months old (clearly!) then they should give you a refund as soon as they recieve it. If they play silly buggers, just ask them for their local trading standards, or if you bought it with a Credit Card, notify the CC company of the issue...that normally works, as CC companies can revoke a company's ability to use CC's...
Sale of Goods Act springs to mind...and it applies to whoever YOU bought it off, not the manufacturer of the item.
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Thank you phil howard,
What you have stated is as I thought,the matrix has only been fitted a week now and am sure the sale of goods act states you have 28 days from date of purchase, within this time the supplier is liable to exchange or refund as the item is not fit for the purpose it was supplied for.
After 28 days the manufacturer is liable but i may be wrong, I will check this out with my local tradings standards tomorrow.
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Hi,
Managed to find this on a consumers protection and advise site.
Goods also have to be ‘fit for their purpose’. If you make your particular purpose for the goods known to a seller, this may create an implied term of contract – in other words there may be a legal implication that the goods are ‘reasonably fit for that purpose’ (even if that purpose is not the purpose for which the goods are commonly supplied – see section 14(3) of the 1979 Act).
If good are not of a ‘satisfactory quality’ or ‘reasonably fit for their purpose’ the law provides you with remedies. Legal remedies or options include – the right to reject the goods (return them and ask for a refund – section 15B, 1979 Act), and/or seek damages and treat the contract as repudiated (ended).
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I like the "seek damages" wording...but i suppose it would only cover loss of wages taking time off to sort it out...or would it cover someone else to do it?
I guess GSF would probably back down before it gets this far; try speaking to the gaffer. Perhaps Jon could advise on a suitable path here?
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Have also found a useful link,http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts ... odsact.htm I will print this off and quote it to them tomorrow !
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Go Tebster!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Just so you don't make a bourke of yourself and also to cover yourself from a possible unexpected snag from either of them, have you checked and are you sure there's no excessive pressure in your cooling system caused by any blockages, dodgy thermostats, weepy head gaskets etc?
That to me I feel would be the first thing they're likely to suggest.
Alan S
Tebster
My Cars:

Post by Tebster »

Hi Alan,
Definately not, the heater matrix leaks with the expansion cap removed, the cooling system was flushed prior to replacing the matrix and a new thermostat fitted,the system was then refilled with 50-50 % of bluecol coolant and distilled water, also there has never been any air bubbles in the coolant expansion tank indicating a head gasket leak.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's a post somewhere from Jon that says that Valeo will only entertain warranty claims if the system has been flushed, and filled with Citroen Anti-gel....
Having said that, I can't believe it's rusted through in 2 weeks, which leaves faulty manufacture, overpressure or faulty installation. Unless it's not the matrix, and the car is leaking rain water now? I doubt there will be any redress from either Valeo or GSF for 'consequential' losses (eg your time), but you sure won't get if you don't ask!