xantia rear suspension headaches

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chris95

xantia rear suspension headaches

Post by chris95 »

Thanks in advance for advice,
Having a few issues with the suspension on my 95 xantia
Initially had a sticky height sensor on the rear, got that sorted, then found a leak on the rh rear suspension unit, found one of the nylon pipes had come out, refitted and the next problem was the lh rear leaking, it seems that the fluid is comming out of the rear suspension cross beam, looking further there are two pipes entering the rear cross beam, can anyone tell me where they go, what they do and any reason they would leak?
Also the front suspension seems high when driving??
Is there a procedure for checking the operation of spheres accumulators etc??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Chris,
you have 2 nylo pipes on each rear suspension rubber bellow.
The pipe towards front of car is simply the vent pipe for the air cavity inside the bellow. This pipe ends blind/open in the rear crossmember tube as a means to prevent dirt getting in to the vented bellow.
The other pipe towards the sphere is a leak-off pipe, which leads the normal cylinder seepage (for lubing the seal) back to the reservoir. Pipes joins in a rubber Tee for both cylinders somewhere on the crossmember, and I suspect this is where you have the leak, as the pipes may disjoin the Tee or the rubber Tee may split/crack.
Testing the spheres are quite easy : with car in normal height (engine idle), each corner of car should be soft to press down, indicating working spheres.
The accumulator sphere (located on engine) is best tested by judging the click interval from the regulator. The click interval should be at least 30 seconds - up to minutes range for a perfect accumulator sphere.
If less than 30 seconds, even constant clicking, the accumulator sphere is near/total flat.