To keep or not to keep...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bigpete
My Cars:

To keep or not to keep...

Post by bigpete »

My lovely ZX TD died recently (head gasket and I’m gutted) and I was wondering if I could pick the collective brain of the forum.
Quick history – It’s ZX Aura TD ’95 on a M with around 110k miles on it. Recently replaced the heater matrix (whcih was a fun job!) and had a new cam belt. Dodgy front wheel bearing and the hand brake needs a good seeing too.
Now I likes my little TD and the dilemma I face is what to do with it. I’ve only got a limited budget of a grand and think I have a few options…
Get it fixed (not up to doing the nightmare job of the gasket myself) and have a car which I know its problems and its history.
Or have a go at it myself with the limited knowledge of the pitfalls of such a big job (scary thought).
Or really stretch the budget and buy another car with unknown problems and hope that I don’t pick a heap.
Just sounding out a few ideas so any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers for your time/responses in advance.
Ta
Pete
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I'd probably go the "better the devil you know" route - as I've done it once before. Bought a normally-aspirated diesel BX of similar mileage with headgasket problems (silly me), got it fixed once I had the money by a reputable repairer, and drove it another 45/50k miles before the rust got to it.
There are as ever a few caveats, though.
(1) You need to identify the cause of the head-gasket failure. If a flow-restriced radiator, or perhaps a hose or waterpump problem, then that should be identified and done the same time as the gasket.
(2) Be aware there are sometimes cases of cracked blocks on XUDs (but not very often).
(3) Get the head tested before final decisions, and skimmed if necessary.
(4) If the car doesn't have a temp gauge, then fit one.
(5) If you take the head off yourself, then you won't have to pay anyone to tell you if there cracks between the cylinders - which would land you in new head territory. This would also give you an idea of the scope of the problem. This does of course assume you've got alternative transport meanwhile....
bigpete
My Cars:

Post by bigpete »

Interesting you mention about a flow-restricted radiator...I had been keeping on eye on it but it wasn't getting very hot. The temp gauge read the normal 85 degrees but the fans where whirring away to themselves with a stone cold radiator. The top hose was nice and hot with only the top right hand (looking at it from the front of car) of the radiator was warmish. Bleeding the system seemed to keep it under control though.
Replacing the head gasket myself sounds a little on the tough side. To be honest it went about 10000 miles ago when I was loosing litres of water on short trips. Tried doing job myself and got a far as removing the manifolds and thought "fork this for a game of soldiers, I'll bite the bullet and get the pro's in." They skimmed the head but I don't think I have any come back to the garage though as "it could be anything".
I could take the job on myself as I've nothing (in theory) to loose and the buses are fairly regular. It could well be a good idea to have a go with my limited knowledge and with Mr Haynes by my side...I can't do much more damage?! So knowing a bit more on the history of the car does anyone have advice on a head gasket job before I start weilding spanners at my ZX.
Pete
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Pete. I would get your Aura sorted, they are great lil cars and you wont get anything anywhere near as nice for the money you have available. And you have already done one of the worst jobs when you sorted the matrix out. [:)]
As prev advised, make sure you find out what caused the overheating problem and fix it. Then you can expect the head to last for another 200.000+ miles if you maintain your car well and regularly. [:)]
bigpete
My Cars:

Post by bigpete »

I agree, the ZX is great. I have been looking after it and servicing it every 5000 miles and the like. I think I've been a bit unlucky with it so far...hopefully I've got through the worst of bits, like the heater matrix - I've never seen a car without it's dash (it was almost fun!). So I'm almost on the verge of getting the wee beast sorted. I might pay someone to the gasket and I'll throw in new raditor myself cos that's easy. But if anyone thinks that an ex bicycle repair man (smacks of Monty Python doesn't it) who is keen on saving a wedge of cash by tackling the head gasket would be a bad idea, please say so now! I'll sleep on the head gasket job idea and see how I feel tomorrow.
Pete
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I did the head gasket on my visa because the radiator was knackered. Only the top third was getting hot, bottom 2 thirds stone cold. Took it out and flushed it both ways but it didnt help and eventually the head gasket went due to overheating.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigpete</i>

...I've never seen a car without it's dash (it was almost fun!). <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The man has never had a mini. They are fresh from the factory without a dash!
bigpete
My Cars:

Post by bigpete »

A car with no dash was a little on the nuts side. The cabin felt a lot roomier with the dash out though! All those wires/cables and it all went back together without missing anything. I even got a couple of things to work that hadn't before!
Pete
bigpete
My Cars:

Post by bigpete »

Well I've just had a quote for head gasket job from Main Dealer for £700 including parts...they don't want to do the job! I've got one more place to try but it isn't looking good for the ZX. Anyone got a list of things to look out for when attacking a head gasket job.
Pete
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Pete. Thanks to the blokes on this forum changing your head gasket isn't realy a problem.
Looking at it in simple terms you have to get the head off.. soo. that means removing all the other bits that get in your way. Sure it will be a pain getting to some of the hidden nuts and bolts etc but its NOT rocket science. Just be methodical and patient. If you get stuck thats when this forum becomes a god-send, you can tell people what your problem is and they WILL come up with the answer..
So dont be scared, get your tools out and make a start... You will make mistakes and waste some time, but its your time and wont cost £30 an hour!!! If you can, use a camera to take pics as you go, they will come in handy when reasembling things.. Personaly I would much rather replace a head gasket than change a heater matrix!!!! [:I]
BUT BUT BUT!! get the rad sorted or you may end up doing it all again in a few weeks!! [:0] Good luck and if you get stuck just ask for help here.. You have expert advice available and its given for free.. [^]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Use new bolts and use one of the old ones slotted with a hacksaw to clean out the threads on the block. You'll need a T55 torx driver in a 1/2" drive.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

If you really don't want to do it yourself, then try an independant. If you let us know whereabouts in the world you are, then maybe one of us can give a recommendation; some of us do use "outsourcing" occasionally!
£700 DIY would probably buy you a NEW head, radiator, water pump, belt, tensioner, gaskets...the lot. It will be worth (if you can afford the time) getting the head crack tested. For somewhere around the £30 mark (IIRC), it'll let you know that the head's ok, otherwise it will be a wasted job. If the rad has had it, you could well have just got away with just the gasket, but you may as well get the pump, tensioner et all sone at the same time; they won't need doing again for another 100-150k miles...
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

If you have taken the manifolds off then you have actually accomplished one of the worst bits of the job, the actual head removal is pretty straightforward, study these boards and ask for help whenever needed, my own zx has 166000 miles so as you can see theres plenty of life in the old girl yet.
Stewart
bigpete
My Cars:

Post by bigpete »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
<i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>
...If you get stuck thats when this forum becomes a god-send
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
...and with those wise words, I'm going to have a go! I'll persude my very nice friend to lend me his garage for a week, which should give me plenty of time to make the odd mistake. And as he's got t'internet as well, I can venture this onto this fourm to look for help and ask the advice of the helpful collective if I get stuck.
I was going to ask what size torx I'd need for the head bolts but Tom has very kindly beaten me to it. I won't start the job until the weekend so in case I change my mind, if anyone knows of a good place to "outsource" the job in the York area, I would be much obliged.
Cheers for all the help and advice gents...I'm sure I'll be asking at some point over the weekend.
Pete
P.S If anyone needs a Matrix doing, I'll swap ya. I'll do the matrix if you do the gasket!!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

You may as well bite the bullet, Pete and do all the associated jobs which are so much easier whilst you're underway, like the water pump, tensioner, etc..saves (possibly) having to do them shortly after. Oh, and don't forget to order a new radiator as well!